Are My Eyes Playing Tricks on Me?

Lovie

"Hey, Jake. Anything exciting happen today?"

Jake shook his head and scoffed, "Nah. Just passed out a few speeding tickets. Nothing too fancy. How was school?"

I sighed, "School was school. I have a partner project to work on after work though." With the hottest guy I've ever seen. No biggie though.

"Oh yeah? With who?"

"The new kid. His name is Ezekiel Fox."

I sat down at the front desk and clocked myself into work. The day shift secretary is a rather cluttered person, so I take a few moments to organize the desk. There's a few papers that need to be filed so I begin to alphabetize them by case information.

My brother leans on the front desk and sips his coffee, "You said his last name is Fox? Any relation to the family who just moved here from London?"

I nod. "Yeah. The very same. Have you met his parents? They seem nice—his parents do anyway, they live next door."

Jake finished off his cup, "I haven't met them. Jim from the Harker Heights Chronicle said they're looking to buy the newspaper. They apparently own a whole slew of papers across Europe."

I chuckled. "So I was correct when I assumed they were rich."

"Yeah. Very. There's some talk of their son being a bit... troubled." Jake hesitated over that last word.

I shrugged my shoulders and walked to the drink station to make a cup of tea. "I don't really think he's troubled. I think it's an act. He's pretty smart. Maybe even smarter than I am."

Jake nodded slowly. Taking in the information I had just shared. "Okay. Just be careful, Lovie." He pulled his sunglasses out of his shirt and put the on, "I have radar duty tonight. I'll see you tomorrow at work."

I waved him off. "See ya tomorrow!"

The hours passed slowly. Barely anyone called in tonight. Which is incredibly odd for a Friday night. Oh well.

I glanced at the clock: 7:15 PM. Fifteen minutes left. I went around to everyone asking if there was anything they needed filed, copied, or printed. Nada. After returning to my desk I went over my list of daily duties. Alphabetize newly closed cases. Check. Shred all documents in shred box. Check. Organize supply closet. Check. Set phones to forward calls to county. Check.

None of my tasks are exceptionally time consuming, which leaves me with plenty of time to finish homework. Sometimes even enough time to get a head start on assignments on the syllabus.

As I was packing my book bag I heard the bell ding on the door. I looked up at the fresh faced young man in front of me, "No way."

In front of me stood a boy I hadn't seen in years. His espresso colored hair laid in the same cut it had been eight years ago, but his jaw... what is with me an jaws? The chocolate swirled eyes I was staring into had a twinkle in them matching the large smile he was sporting. "Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or Aiden Pickett is standing in front of me." I felt a grin spread across my face as Aiden looked down and laughed and looked back up at me through his lashes.

An equally large smile broke out on his face , "It most definitely is me. In the flesh."

I hopped out of my seat and let out a squeal. He met my hug and wrapped his rather large arms around me, lifting me off the ground.

I let out a little groan as my back popped and he sat me down. "What the hell are you even doing here?!"

"Dad decided it was time to move back. Grams got sick and he wanted to be here for her." He lowered his head and a look of sorrow crossed over his face before it went neutral.