Chapter eleven - In which you have to stay behind

Start from the beginning

"Sir, there has been an incident."

Immediately after, Tony's phone started ringing, and his face dropped when he saw who was calling.

"Gear up." he said to the room, before leaving the room swiftly to answer his phone. Everyone jumped to their feet apart from Loki and Clint, abandoning their food to go and get geared up. Thor stopped you however as you made your way towards the door.

"Lady Y/N, you are still recovering, I believe it is unwise for you to accompany us on this mission." he told you, kindly enough, but with a stern undertone.

"Thor, I'm fine, honestly! It will do me good to get some fresh air..."

"Go, brother." Loki said from behind you, suddenly becoming part of the conversation, and Thor nodded gratefully and left.

"Loki, what are you doing? I want to- "

"I know, but you should stay behind regardless with this argument going on. It will only create tension. Also, you really don't know what you're doing."

"I've been training with Nat! I do know what I'm doing."

"Not with your magic you don't. Hand to hand combat can only get you so far, you need your magic. Besides, it's dangerous for your emotions to run so high when you can't use your magic, you don't know what you're capable of."

"I just- I..."

"Miss Y/N, Tony has instructed you to stay behind on this occasion." JARVIS' voice told you suddenly.

"Kid, you know you're fighting a losing battle when Rudolph and Tony are on the same side." Clint piped up from the sofa.

"Great, thanks Clint." you snapped, turning on your heel to leave the room.

"Wait... where are you going?" Loki asked, following you from the room.

"My room, is that alright with you?"

"You can't leave me with him!" he hissed, catching hold of your arm and tugging you backwards.

You stared at Loki's hand in surprise, and he dropped your arm quickly.

"Sorry." he said.

"Kid! Keep an eye on these boys will you? I don't know how long we'll be gone for, this is serious." Tony told you, heading for the elevator.

"Sure. Have a great time." you replied sourly.

"Hey..." Tony jogged over to where you were stood and took hold of your shoulders.

"We'll talk when I get back okay? I know you're pissed... don't be." he said.

You looked up at him and were surprised to see how worried he looked, suddenly realising why he was trying to make amends with you. In case he didn't come back. And then you weren't mad anymore, feeling worry blossom in your chest instead.

"I... be careful." you said, going to squeeze his hand but then realising that he was unlikely to feel it through his iron suit.

"We will kid, don't worry. See you later."

"Love you too Tony! Don't worry about saying bye to me, I'm just chilling." Clint declared from the sofa, making you laugh.

You followed Loki back into the living room, and watched as the Quinjet took off about two minutes later.

"They'll be fine Y/N, quit worrying. Chuck me the remote would you?" Clint said from where he was splayed on the sofa. You wished you could be as relaxed as him, but you were unable to get Tony's worried expression out of your mind. And all you had for distraction was Loki and Clint. This was going to be a long day.