Chapter X | Lost Time

Request from VintageSoul93

Trevante Rhodes as Trevante                     [side note, not famous]

[side note, not famous]

Female character as VintageSoul93 // Shirley

From the sun-baked dryness of outside, the air conditioning of Shirley's new house was a blessing to the skin. Trevante removed his shades, taking in the homely vibe she had made, looking at the photos scattered on the shelf; of the memories, they had shared. Though the moving process was long, he was more than happy to spend time with her, even if it was just unpacking boxes. Catching her genuine smile he was taken aback, rather than the fake one she had shared over the years, there was a natural softness and warmth.

This was her fresh start, away from her ex-boyfriend of two years. Shirley didn't even want to reflect back on it, on how good it was at the beginning but how quickly things turned - over time they couldn't stand to be together and she had to remove herself from the toxic situation. Not one part of her regretted the decision as it brought her closer to her best friend, Trevante, who as soon as he found out she was moving back home; jumped at the opportunity to help her.

She turned away from the window, towards him and said: "I don't even know what to say, Tre, you've literally been the biggest help over that couple of weeks".

"You don't need to thank me, you know I'd help you in a heartbeat", he said wholeheartedly.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, gently rubbing her arm. Despite the heaviness in her stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of her body pressed against his. She sunk into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture. His touch made the room warmer somehow, her future within its walls seeming a little less bleak.

"I still need to do something to thank you, we should go out", she said slightly muffled by his side.

He looked to her hesitantly, he used the recent weeks that they had spent together to see how she was holding up. Shirley acted as though she had completely forgotten about him but Tre was still slightly unsure on whether to make any romantic advances. What convinced him to make a move was the little observations he had made, the longer eye contact, the happier smiles and the late phone calls; this all felt beyond friendship. Her moving back to their hometown, caused his feelings for her to resurface.