LVIII. Green Light

"Phoebe!" Ava called her friend, suddenly appearing at her desk. "There's something in my office."

Phoebe noticed Ava was being cryptic, something clearly had her worked up but it seemed like she didn't want to go into detail, at least not there.

"Alright. Let's go check this thing out then."

"Yes, please, let's go to my office."

"Sure... but can you share a little information about the thing?"

"What day is today?"

"Uh?" Phoebe didn't see this question coming.

"Today..."

"Friday. Why? Is it related to the thing?"

"Can we stop calling it the thing?"

"Okay, now I'm getting worried. Should I be worried?"

"Not sure yet, Phoebe." Ava stepped aside after opening her office's door. "Get in, fast. Please!"

"Roger that, I'm going in!"

Phoebe entered the office and stood by the desk, waiting impatiently for Ava to show her whatever the thing was.

"Look at this!" Ava practically threw a letter to her friend's face.

"Are we afraid of a letter?" she asked, opening the yellow envelope.

"Just read it..."

"I'm glad you found out the truth. Congratulations. Now enjoy your promotion," Phoebe read it. "Is that it?"

"Yes, that's it," Ava said restless.

"This is what got you freaked out? What's so bad about it?"

"Only you and Paul are supposed to know! I didn't tell anyone else about it!"

"I'm confused. What truth? It's not even signed, who the hell sent this to you?"

"Which truth do you think? The promotion, the photo... It has to be the groundskeeper. Who else could it be?"

"Wait, do you see this as a threat? The way I see it, he just helped you get to the truth. Now he is congratulating you."

"Let's suppose you are right. So, how did he know I found out the truth?"

"Well, that's a great question. You might be right, something smells fishy..."

"What do you think, is this just to congratulate me or a threat?"

"If it's a threat, it means he is keeping tabs on you Ava. If it's a simple congratulation, then he's helping you, and probably watching Julien's moves."

"And we're back to the original question, how did a groundskeeper get to be a shareholder? Also, remember the weird lady? She said there was others... Who is behind him? What should I do, Phoebe?"

"Nothing. Just wait and see... We need to see if he makes another move. In the meanwhile, we have to stay on our toes and try to keep certain people from eavesdropping on us."

"Great way to start what promised to be an amazing day... I guess it was just promising."

"Calm down, gurl! Amazing day? What made it amazing?"

Ava ran her hands up and down her arms, still nervous.

"Come on! Spill it," Phoebe insisted.

"I am going on a date with the good-looking guy from the party."

"Really? That's amazing! I knew there was still hope for you! And gurl, I have to say this: what a catch!"

Ava smiled because of the playful tone of Phoebe's voice.

"Do you think so?"

"Definitely! Glad you are letting someone get close again."

"Yeah," Ava answered unsure of how close she was ready to let him get.

"Now breathe, don't let the bad stuff come between you and this new guy. Have fun with him, he is the type that could make me just forget about the whole world and lose myself in those strong arms. Damn, gurl. I'm so jealous!"

"You're amazing Phoebe, you know that? Now can I have my hug? I need to recharge my confidence!"

Phoebe giggled.

"Always," she answered opening her arms. "Come here! I got you, hun!"