X. Interlude

"Girl, you haven't told me a word about your visit to the shrink. How was it?", Phoebe asked later in the afternoon, while pouring sugar on her coffee.

They were having their afternoon break, standing somewhere in the middle of the breakroom.

"It was intense", Ava answered, placing her eyes on her own cup of coffee.

"Oh, I see. Come on, cheer up, dear! Life is beautiful and no matter what got you down, like the wind, it'll blow away. Meanwhile, we can have a little gossip session. Oh! Maybe we can make voodoo dolls together. And then we'll run needles through them and pretend they are our dear dear friend, Clarisse."

"Wait? What are you suggesting?", Ava replied, looking bemused. She was sure Phoebe wasn't being serious, but the idea of making a Clarisse doll and running it through the paper shredder seemed like fun.

"I never claimed to be a normal person. I mean, I would never hurt anyone for real, but that doesn't mean I won't stick a bunch of needles in a doll named Clarisse. Maybe even throw it from the roof, while yelling goodbye, you hag!"

Ava contained a laugh.

"You are crazy, Phoebe."

"I know, but I got you to smile, didn't I?"

"Thank you", Ava said and held her hand.

"You're welcome", she replied, while shifting her attention to the TV at the breakroom. "Look, Ava, that movie again! Another rerun of a tired old war movie. This is on like every other week. Come on, can someone put those starving actors to work and make some new movies?"

Ava looked up. As usual, Phoebe was exaggerating. Ava didn't remember watching that particular movie, but she thought it seemed interesting. She also shifted her attention to the TV, focusing on the movie.

"Can you imagine a time like the one in the movie? Men using swords instead of guns in their wars... They had to be really crazy. Everything was so different back then."

"Men from those times lived to survive, nowadays men live for indulgences and only strive to increase their own longevity", said a familiar voice, standing at Ava's side.

"Oh!", Ava expressed her confusion. She thought Phoebe was still there, but, after looking around, Phoebe was nowhere to be found, and in her place, was the man she bumped into when leaving the HR's meeting room. "I thought..." Ava started, trying to explain to him she wasn't crazy enough to be talking alone.

He smiled.

"In a crazy world, you have to be a crazy person."

She gazed at his eyes, he had her attention.

"And what does it mean, being crazy?"

"I like that question", he said using his usual charming tone.

"I'm not sure if I want you to answer to it. I have to get back to work, my break was over five minutes ago. I just lost track of time. Excuse me."

He smiled once again and, with a subtle bow, he stepped aside, making way for her to pass. While walking away, Ava could feel his eyes placed on her.

"Who is he?", she asked herself, discreetly glancing back at him as she turned the corner to the hallway.