LX. High on life

“Is there any chance you’ll be free next Friday night or Saturday?”, Ava was reading the new message and smiling like a school girl. How did she get involved so quickly with this guy whose name was still unknown?

She bit her lips to make the smile disappear; She didn’t want her colleagues to stare at her grinning in the middle of the hallway, that would be fuel enough for more gossip. Ava was there to get some copies from the print machine, which unfortunately there was a line for.
This text was finally brightening up this boring Wednesday. Actually, it brightened up the whole week ahead, as far as Ava was concerned.

“Are you missing me?” she teased him.

“Maybe.” he swiftly answered.

“Then maybe I’ll be free.” she wrote back, taking a quick glance at her colleagues around her. Fortunately, no one was paying attention to her, so she took her copies and made her office.
These text conversations they were having were getting interesting.

She set her phone down on the desk and waited for a reply. Fifteen minutes later, she was running her hands through her arms. It was obvious why. She wondered if her last text had been too harsh.

“Come on, reply…” she found herself wishing. At that moment, she wondered if she was getting too attached, and Phoebe’s words from their conversation rang on her mind: “Take it slow…”

Ava knew Phoebe was worried about her going too fast with this new guy, Phoebe hoped she would be careful, but Ava was being everything but careful. She was letting all of these new emotions sweep her away, just like every other time.
“I’m so intense…” she complained, realizing she was getting more and more attached to him.

“Keep it cool,” she insisted, forcing her hands to stop.

This new tendency to rub her arms was very revealing. Her lack on self-control was to blame, no wonder why she was so unlike herself lately. She was on the edge of too many emotions!

“Fuck,” she found herself cursing, followed by a “Stop it!”

The sound of a message silenced her. All of a sudden, that growing anxiety faded and gave way to a swelling feeling of happiness. “He replied!”

She read it immediately, hungry for this answer.

“Let’s turn that maybe into a definitely then, shall we? I have a surprise for you,” he wrote.

“Fuck yeah! I love surprises!” Ava said out loud.

Someone opened the door, without knocking.

“Ava, did I hear you cursing?” Phoebe said, peeking through the door.

Ava was startled by the unexpected visit and let her phone slip between her fingers. She tried to catch it before it reached the floor, but instead she fell off the chair.

“Are you ok?” Phoebe hurried to help Ava up.

“Yeah, sure!” she answered, sprawled on the floor giggling.

“What’s going on girl? Are you feeling alright?”

“Oh, I’m just happy. Life’s great, isn’t it”
“I suppose?”

“Yes! It is! And I’m feeling wonderful, Phoebe. He asked me on another date!”
Phoebe facepalmed at that. “Someday, you will be the death of me, you know that?! Are you that sure you’re alright?”

“Never better Phoebe, never better!”