Chapter Thirty Six- Time's Up

We're out of time! It's now or never

Cass hadn't spoken a word in at least ten minutes

Cass hadn't spoken a word in at least ten minutes. Diego and Luther had already left. They'd rushed into the theatre to apprehend Vanya, leaving an unstable Cass in the care of Klaus. She was slumped on the floor, head lent back against the wall. She was just staring off into nothingness. She'd failed. The apocalypse was still happening. And her sister was about to be killed by the rest of her family. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Disturbing Cass' brooding silence, Klaus' stomach rumbled loudly. The first time Cass just ignored it. She wasn't in a speaking mood. But the second time his stomach rumbled weirdly long and loudly and kinda squeaked. Cass looked up at him, one eyebrow raised and a smirk on her face. He shrugged and looked back at her looking slightly embarrassed.

"Want to get some food?" Cass suggested, weakly. The world was ending in a matter of minutes. What else was she going to do?

*

Cass and Klaus trudged wearily out of the theatre and along the street until they found a hot dog cart. They were still in view of the theatre so it's not like they'd bailed completely. But it's not like Luther or Diego would even notice, they were the ones who told them to basically stay out of the way. So they'd gone even further away to comply with their orders.

Cass stood still as Klaus placed his order. She'd already got hers and just looked up at the intricate facade of the Icarus Theatre, hot dog in hand. A couple of cars had driven past, the lights from the theatre reflecting on the hoods as they drove past. Shouts and laughs came from an apartment block over the road. Life carried on. And in a few brief moments, it would stop.

She did nothing to prevent it as another vision washed over her. What good would it do anyway?

But this vision was not what Cass had been expecting. It wasn't of the bloody aftermath of the apocalypse. This time she didn't see the dead bodies of her siblings after their last fight had failed. They were still fighting! If she was having visions of their last fight then that meant- nothing had been decided yet. There was still time to change things!

Cass focused on the image she saw, letting it melt back into reality. She had a strong grip on this vision, the strongest she'd ever been. It was like splitting a screen on a tablet. She just shrunk the vision and put it in her mind's eye. She let it play out whilst watching Klaus receive his hot dog.

Without warning, Cass threw her arms around Klaus, squashing his hot dog up against his cheek.

"Um, what's this for?" He managed to say with a hot dog stuffed in his face.

"I'm sorry bro..." She whispered solemnly and pulled away from the hug, "See you soon." She smiled sadly, watching them before turning her focus back to her vision. She allowed it to focus, watching in fearful glee as the image became clearer and clearer, bigger and bigger until it had enveloped her and she was gone. Klaus was too weirded out to notice that Cass' gaze hadn't been fixed on him, rather the empty space beside him...occupied by Ben.