Chapter Thirty Four- True Powers

Start from the beginning

Cass slouched back into her own seating, doing her best to make herself comfortable in the world's most uncomfortable seat. She watched as Luther carelessly chucked the bowling ball over his shoulder. He stared straight ahead, fixing his eyes on the manager who was aggressively spraying the bowling shoes and glaring back at them. Cass looked uninterested, while Klaus watched enthusiastically, as the ball clattered along the lane and successfully knocked down all ten pins. A little congratulations cartoon played on the TV screen above their lane as a dancing pin jumped around and congratulated Luther for being in first place. Klaus beamed. At least someone was having fun.

Getting back on track, Allison placed herself defiantly in front of Luther and held up her notepad. Allison had her back to Cass but based on Luther's reaction, she wasn't following his every order.

"We're the only ones capable of stopping this." Luther protested. Although Cass didn't want to, she had to admit that he was right. If anyone had a chance of stopping the apocalypse it was the Umbrella Academy. "We have a responsibility to dad."

That Cass did not agree with. Neither did most of the family, as they all groaned.

"To dad?" Diego scoffed loudly, "No, I've heard enough about-"

"He sacrificed everything to bring us back together," Luther bickered. Cass rolled her eyes.

"I'm with Luther on this one." Five piped up.

"What?" Cass couldn't help but blurt out. Luther glared daggers at her and Diego brandished them at Luther.

"We can't give her a chance to fight back." Five explained, stoically but solemnly, "There are billions of lives at stake. We're past trying to save just one."

Cas sunk back in her seat, arms folded, suddenly feeling guilty that she hadn't thought about anyone other than her sister. How had it come to this? Everyone else in the entire world vs Vanya. Everyone, even people she had no idea existed, vs her sister...

"Um guys..." Klaus interjected cautiously, "Uh...maybe, maybe I could help."

Klaus nervously looked over his shoulder. At first Cass thought he was looking to her but his eyes were fixed on the empty chairs next to her. Cass followed his gaze and tuned out on the empty seat. She held her gaze but she didn't know why.

"Now is not the time, Klaus." Luther huffed.

"No." Diego spat, defending Klaus. Or maybe he just wanted to pick a fight with Luther, "Let him finish." He said, waving his hand dismissively at Luther who stared at him like he had been insulted to his very core.

"He saved my life today." Diego said, clapping Klaus on the back proudly which almost sent more skinny Klaus flying.

"Is that true?" Luther asked in disbelief. Truth be told, even Cass was a little surprised.

"Yeah...yes it is." Klaus said, shooting an apologetic look to the empty chair beside Cass. "...take credit for it." He admitted after his guilt got the better of him, "In fact the real hero...was Ben."

No one said a word. Everyone just stared at him like he'd finally, after all these years, he'd finally lost the plot. But not Cass. She let her eyes defocus on the empty space beside her that Klaus kept looking at and let a vision wash over her.

"Today, he punched me in the face!" Klaus said proudly but everyone still looked at him like he was crazy, "And earlier, at the house, he was the one who saved Diego's life. Not me."

"You're unbelievable Klaus." Luther sighed, shaking his head and looking at him like Klaus had betrayed the most sacred memory of their dear brother...who none of them had mentioned for like 5 months.

"Oh, you want proof is it?" Klaus chided, "Alright, I'll give you proof!" He said hesitantly and picked up the nearest bowling ball. He raised it over his head and nodded at the empty space by a distracted looking Cass. Without further hesitation, Klaus chucked the ball. Everyone watched it, not really knowing what Klaus wanted to happen, as the ball clattered to the floor. Klaus shrunk, looking increasingly sheepish with each bounce the ball made across the floor.

"Is there any way to silence that voice in your head that screams out to be the centre of attention?" Luther mocked. The sound of his pretentious voice snapped Cass out of her vision, just in time to intervene and defend her brother.

"As helpful as that blatant insult was, Luther," She snapped, "We're gonna have to wrap this up because in about, oh 10 seconds, we're going to have company. And not the nice company. About two dozen men in scary suits, armed to the teeth with guns."

Everyone stared at her but by now they knew not to question her.

"Oh and it's Kenny's birthday. We should write a card."