Chapter 15

Kion and Fuli woke up, cuddled with each other.  They didn't think it worked, but they had tried the night before.  Kion was surprised that Fuli had suggested it, and Fuli was surprised that Kion had agreed.

"How close to noon is it?"  Fuli asked.  Her voice wasn't as hard as it normaly was, instead Kion could hear the old Fuli in it.

Kion sat up and glanced outside.  The sun was halfway up the sky.

"Halfway up the sky," he said.  "But before we go, can I ask you something?"

"Go for it," Fuli sat up.

"You know how you've changed since I met you?"  Kion asked.

"Yeah?"  Fuli asked.

"Do you prefer how you were before or now?"  Kion asked.  "I'm just curious because I've seen the old Fuli coming out of you more often than it used to."

"I really don't know the answer," Fuli said.  "I don't know if I'd like to be as energetic as I used to be.  But I think I'd like to be more open, but I just can't now.  It's become somewhat of a defensive mechanism, you know?  Stop other animals from hurting me the same way Harako hurt me."

"I understand," Kion said.

Fuli took a breath.  "But one of the main things I'm worried about is you.  If I was the old Fuli, I might not be here with you."

"I would still love you as much as I do now if you were the old Fuli," Kion said.  "They both have their qualities."

"I'm going to ask you a question," Fuli said.  "Do you prefer the old Kion or new Kion?"

"Old Kion as in before Lion Guard Kion or old Kion as in before healed scar Kion?"  Kion asked.

"Old Kion as in before healed scar Kion," Fuli said.  "You didn't change much after you got the Roar."

"I don't know," Kion said.  "My first instinct would be to say the new Kion, but then I remember how much energy I used to have.  I kind of liked that.  But my temper was much shorter then."

"You know I loved you even before you got your scar, right?"  Fuli asked.

"Yeah," Kion said.  "I loved you before it happened, too."

"But you are right," Fuli said.  "I've been being more open with other animals.  It's hard, but I like it.  I could never reach Bunga levels, though."

"I think only Bunga can do that," Kion chuckled.  "But I like you trying to come out of your shell.  It's one of the reasons you're my mate.  You like to push yourself.  But you know when to stop."

"Really?"  Fuli asked.

"Don't do it just because I like it," Kion said.  "Do it because you want to.  I don't want you to be someone you aren't for me."

"I won't," Fuli promised.  "But I didn't think you'd like it."

"Why wouldn't I?"  Kion asked.

"I thought one of the reasons you liked me was because of how much I stayed away from the others," Fuli said.

"I fell in love with you as cubs," Kion said.  "Back when you were outgoing.  All that matters is you're you."

"I think the same way about you," Fuli said.  "Wewe ni wewe.  That's all that matters."

"Ndio," Kion agreed, standing up.  "Let's go meet Kiara."

Fuli stood up.

"You sure our plan's going to work?"  she asked.