Chapter 13

As Kion's Lion Guard approached the Pride Lands, they saw Zazu flying in their direction.

"Kion!  Lion Guard!"  he called.  "Simba and Nala have become very sick.  They want you and Bunga to come."

"We'll be right there!"  Kion called back.  He turned to Fuli.  "Mind taking over the Guard for a little?"

"Sure," Fuli said.

Kion turned to Bunga.  "Hop on."

Bunga hopped onto Kion's back.  They ran up to Pride Rock

"Kion!"  Kiara greeted.  "Bring Bunga in."

Kion and Bunga entered Pride Rock, seeing Simba and Nala lying down, their eyes barely opened.  Their flanks were gently rising and falling, but Kion could see how weak they were.

"Mom?  Dad?"  he whispered.

Simba slightly opened his eyes.

"Kion?  Is Bunga here?"  he asked weakly.

"I'm right here," Bunga said.

"I'm glad I was able to have both of you in my life," Simba said.  "I can feel that I'm reaching the end of it.  Bunga, remember to just be yourself.  I didn't truly know you at first, but now, I'm glad to call you my brother."

Simba gave a weak chuckle.

"Kion," he said.  "I'm sorry for how I treated you.  I know I haven't been the most accepting father.  From the time you assembled the Lion Guard to you becoming mates with Fuli.  The truth is, I was worried about you.  After my cubhood with Scar and being exiled, I didn't want you to suffer.

"Kiara, I know I had the same problem with you.  I was hovering over you, trying to protect you.  And I judged Kovu too harshly at first, too.  Along with the Outsiders.  It was Zira who I should've been worried of.  I hope both of you can forgive me before I join the Kings of the Past."

Nala slightly opened her eyes.

"Your dad means it," her voice was weak.  "He's been worrying over you two ever since you were born.  I regret that I haven't been in your lives as much as I could.  I hope that you can forgive me."

"Of course!"  Kion's eyes started to tear up.  "There's nothing to forgive."

"You only did what you thought was best," Kiara said, her eyes tearing up.  "But I wish you didn't have to go."

There wasn't any response.  Simba and Nala's eyes closed as their breathing shallowed until it stopped.  Kion and Kiara rested their heads on each other, sobbing.

"I'm just going to...leave you two alone," Bunga walked out.

Neither Kion nor Kiara noticed Bungs leaving; they were too absorbed in what was happening.

"I can't believe they're gone," Kiara sobbed.  "Even after everything daddy did, I still loved him."

"I know," Kion responded, crying.  "They shouldn't have gone this early."

Kion and Kiara stayed in Pride Rock until a couple hours before sunset, mourning over their parents. Outside Pride Rock, Fuli was with the Lion Guard. She wasn't too close to Simba, but she knew what it felt like to lose a family member. Kukimb was born after her, and after both she and Duma grew close to him, Harako told them that he had died in a sinkhole.

"Should we be worried about Kion?"  Beshte asked.  "He's been in there for a while."

"He's lost both his parents," Fuli said, sitting down.  "Both him and Kiara have to support each other.  They should be out soon."