Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Jai gave Lyv and her sisters as much time as they needed with Bence without any interruptions. They weren't the only ones to need some...because he did, too. Not only was he dealing with his own pain with what happened, but he could also feel the echoes of Lyv's own. Her heartbroken sadness at seeing what was happening to her father, the man who had raised her as his own even though she wasn't, came in waves down their bond. Some were small and others crashed into him so hard that he had to catch himself before stumbling.

He left everyone to disappear into the cabin he and Lyv would share with Gideon, Thia, Mik, and Allel to change out of his dirty armor before he took to walking around on the deck. He just needed to be by himself for a little while, sort through the thoughts that were reeling in his mind. It didn't help that their ship was catching up to the dozens of others, allowing him to see all of the grief-stricken faces aboard as they not only heard what had happened to their king but also having watched the demise of Escarral.

Before, Jai hadn't even paid any attention to those who were also aboard their own ship, which were so much more than he thought. With the cabins below already occupied by more people than there probably should have been, the few families that had found themselves on their ship in the escape had made do with creating their own places on deck. The guardsmen from Dalcaine had helped them set up tents that must have been like Lyv's with a charm that made the inside bigger than they seemed from out. There were several clustered together, all glowing with fires that warmed the insides.

Someone else who warmed the deck was Erly, who was curled up in the center and trying to take up as little room as she possibly could with her massive form. Jai noticed a few scrapes along her body when she lifted her head which looked like they were healing beautifully on their own and poked her nose against his stomach in greeting.

"How are you doing, Erly?" he asked her then.

Her hum was a little pained.

"That's what I thought. I'll have to see if Alberich or Lyv can make sure you're all right in a little while. They're...a little preoccupied. Where's Ro, huh?" he asked, rubbing a hand along her jaw.

She looked up toward the rear of the ship where Jai then heard the slow, even breathing of the second dragon.

Just like Erly, Roshan was trying to take up as little room as he could, his head curled in along with his tail. As soon as he got a whiff of Jai's scent, he perked up, humming low in his chest as he leaned his head forward.

"Looks like you and Erly are all right, huh?"

Roshan hummed again before his gray eyes darted to others.

It was there that Jai also found Merek and Evelien, along with little Balian and baby Imrie. The children were asleep against their parents, who were holding each other as they leaned against the railing as the darkness raged behind them. Another tent had been set up for them just a short distance away with the Escarrali flag pinned to the side.

Merek was the first to notice Jai's silent approach, looking back at him over the top of Evelien's head. "Jai," he nodded in greeting as they both turned.

"Merek, Evelien," Jai said with a smile that waivered.

Evelien shifted the sleeping Imrie in her arms to wipe away her tears. "How is Bence? And Lyv?"

"Lyv and her sisters are with him. They wanted some time alone with him. Everyone else is settling in belowdecks. They're all exhausted and this journey over to Dalcaine might be even more so. With the merpeople helping us get there faster, we should be there with in a week, I'd guess."