Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Jai took several steps backward, reaching over his shoulder to grab both blades at his back, eyes locked on a Lyv he didn't recognize, a Lyv that wasn't his.

But it was still her face and body, her smile and hair. Sharper around the edges. It just wasn't her.

"Where are you going?" she smiled, following his steps with her own. "I'm sure you'd be able to get past the eyes. I'm still Lyv...though just a darker version of her."

"You're not Lyv."

She laughed, shaking her head. "You can feel it now, though, can't you? Through the mating bond? Not only did darkness call to me, but it calls to you, too. You've known it for a while. Corliss warned you of it all those years ago, but I can make sure it doesn't devour you like she predicts. We were already powerful together, but just think of what we'd be able to do with this magic between the two of us."

"You're not my Lyv," Jai ground out through gnashed teeth, hands tightening on his sword. "And don't think I'm just going to give up on her. I will get her back."

The dark Lyv raised a brow, a spark flashing in her black eyes. "Are you sure about that?"

"Definitely."

"Who's to say she's still here? You do realize I am her, just a...darker version. One that will be permanent."

Jai didn't want to say anything about feeling Lyv through their mating bond. She wasn't screaming for him anymore, but sending a silent warning not to provoke that darkness that took over her body. But he didn't listen, which he knew she'd make him pay for whenever he really got her back. He'd happily take her hitting and screaming at him if that meant he got to be with her once again, hold her and kiss her and never let her go.

"Because for her to go fully dark, it would only mean I've died at her hand." He spread his arms wide, both swords glinting in the sunlight. "Yet here I am."

Her jaw clenched tight before her lips curled back as she snarled, striding forward toward him. "We'll see about that."

Then stopped up short when she saw Allel step up to his right side, her magic thrumming inside her and ready to shift into whatever creature she thought could take Lyv on and win.

Jai knew there wasn't any, not when that dark magic flowed through her.

"Interesting you're still with the crown prince," Lyv stated, her lips hinting at a smile as she glanced between them. "Especially since I've made friends of my own."

Allel's breath rushed from her lungs when Mik appeared behind Lyv, stepping through the shadows that began to curl them both. The shapeshifter took one step forward herself, but Jai's hand wrapped tightly around her wrist to hold her back.

After meeting his gaze, they both looked back at their mates, cloaked in darkness both inside and out.

Jai let go of Allel to reach back for his sword just as Lyv held out toward Mik, who produced the black sword he'd used on her months before.

Allel disappeared in a burst of bright light, shifting into a golden lioness, golden coat rippling in the sunlight, muscles coiling and ready to pounce.

It all happened so suddenly. The shadows that surrounded Lyv and Mik continued to swirl, but Jai put up his own ward that spread the expanse of the road from building to building, pushing back all of the onlookers who hadn't run off. He didn't think of what would happen, trapping that darkness inside the ward with them. He wasn't going to let Lyv hurt anyone else, just like he promised.