Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Later that night, Lyv and Jai were out on one of the balconies at the palace that looked out over Queen Alexea's garden. The lights were dimmed except for those that dotted through the flowers, trees, and budding bushes, giving everything an otherworldly glow. It wasn't just what was below them that Lyv was looking at, but also the full moon and stars up above.

She smiled as she looked up, leaning her head back against Jai's shoulder. His arms tightened around her waist as he stood behind her and kissed the side of her head.

"What are you smiling about?" Jai whispered in her ear.

"Nothing. I'm just thankful for the quiet right now. And getting to be here with you."

"And not having everyone teasing us, though they are well aware of us being officially mated? You'd think it was the first time they saw us afterward."

Lyv's laughter echoed through the night around them. "Oh, I definitely enjoyed that, too."

He'd been right about the teasing. Once she and Gideon had made it to the Raven, of course, Jai had to pull her into his arms and get the kiss he promised...much to the amusement of everyone around them. There were cheers and catcalls all around, most of which were coming from Drue and Jules, who had apparently wanted to join in their dinner plans. Lyv couldn't stop laughing, mostly because of Jai's retorts and rude gestures to the both of them, which then ended up in him calming down out once Jules threatened him.

Jules and Drue joined them at their booth, though they had to get creative in the seating arrangements, pulling up a chair for her uncle to sit at end. Jai was in between Lyv and Jules while Gideon was between Thia and Allel. And no matter how much Lyv and Gideon ate before they got there, they still ended up scarfing down their meals and several tankards of drinks that made them even more full and just a little bit tipsy.

Lyv and Jai left with Allel, who had been nodding off close to midnight. Thia and Gideon decided on staying out just a little while longer with Jules and Drue, but they heard the four of them get in not even half an hour after they made it back to the palace.

"I never got to ask, but did you have a good day with Gideon? I didn't hear any screaming through the streets or see any guardsmen running anywhere, so I'm sure you two didn't cause too much chaos," Jai said, still kissing her but trailing up the side of her neck then.

Lyv trailed her fingers along his forearms, still locked around her waist, before she laced them through his. "Of course, but there was definitely no chaos...though you might find there are a few more things in our room than there had been this morning."

His groan reverberated against her skin as he trailed his lips upward, making her shiver. "You've got to be kidding me."

"And we might possibly need a new wardrobe. Or I can put an extension spell on the one we already have. What do you think?"

"I think I'm going to have to rally all of the shop owners and beg them not to sell or give you anything."

"Well, that's rude. What happened to spoiling me?"

"I can't spoil you if I can't find you in hidden beneath all of your things."

Lyv laughed again, this time turning around in his hold and leaning back against the railing. But Jai had other ideas, lifting her to sit on it, the stone cool through the material of her pants. He still kept her steady, settling against her with her knees on either side of his hips, not letting her lean too far back for her to lose her balance.