Chapter Twenty-five. A New Element

Start from the beginning

*****

After galley staff cleared away the remnants of the evening meal, the ship's officers returned to their quarters, leaving the researchers free to discuss their most recent findings. Leitus was particularly interested in the Galgov analysis. 

"Erika, is there anything special about it? I know the Timus region was once famous for its vast gold deposits, and this analysis found gold in the sample. Is the percentage high enough for it to be mined commercially?"  

"I'd say marginal. Assuming the price of gold was comparable to the present day the ore contains just enough to make extraction worthwhile, but I don't think that's the most important feature." 

"What is then?" 

"Did you notice that there is 3% by mass of an element with the symbol My in the sample?" 

"So why is that significant? Molybdenum compounds are not unknown." 

"But, Sir, My doesn't stand for molybdenum." 

"What do you mean? Of course it does." 

"I assure you, Sir, Mo is the symbol scientists use for molybdenum." 

"So what does My stand for? Maybe Professor Hertz is as dumb as me, and has just written the wrong symbol" 

"I don't think so. Later on in his notebook, he comments on the unusually high percentage of myrium found in this sample. I've never heard of it. That's why I think it's significant. It's quite possible that the ore contains an element unknown to our scientists." 

Janik, bemused by all this scientific jargon, attempted to switch the emphasis of the conversation.

"What I don't understand is why they sent an ore sample so far for analysis. Surely, the mines would have their own analytical labs, and why would an individual request an analysis? It doesn't make any sense." 

"You know your idea that the ore may contain a new element gels with the tests I carried out on the powder," said Lars, ignoring Janik's comment, and returning the conversation back to chemical matters. 

"Which tests were those, Lars?" asked Leitus. 

"I had some free time before dinner, so I decided to do some preliminary tests on the powder that Janik brought back. I attempted to identify the metallic elements present using an atomic emission spectroscope. I found faint lines corresponding to traces of gold but the brightest lines didn't correspond to those of any element on the chart. It could contain this myrium." 

"Do you think it's a growth promoter or fertilizer of some kind?" 

"I think it might be, Janik," replied Lars. "But I don't think it's due to the myrium alone. There's something else in the powder." 

"What?" 

"I'm not sure, but when I made a slurry of the powder with some sodium hydroxide solution, and heated it gently, a really obnoxious smell was produced. I inadvertently inhaled some of the fumes and it resulted in a splitting headache. From past experience I suspect that it is a nitrogen containing compound of some kind, maybe an amine." 

"And plants need nitrogen from the soil. I remember that from high school," said Janik. "So maybe it is a fertilizer, and the myrium, or whatever it is, is a growth promoter. It would explain the size of those plants we found this afternoon." 

"This is all very interesting," interrupted Leitus. "Let's suppose your right, and a new element has been discovered. In addition, let's suppose that this element proves for some reason to be extremely valuable. It must have resulted in the development of a new mining technology, and somewhere there must be evidence of how they used this element. I think my decision to concentrate our studies around Timus has turned out better than expected. Erika I'm sure is going to obtain a wealth of information for her thesis. It should create quite a stir in the Darsian scientific community. Imagine being able to bring evidence of a new element." 

"But Janik found it. Surely he deserves some credit." 

Janik, whose contributions to the discussion Leitus had ignored, gave Erika a wink of appreciation.  

"I'll see he gets some recognition," said Leitus. "But for now, let's plan ahead. The sooner we get to Timus the better. We don't want to be trapped up there when winter strikes. I reckon we have at most two months to finish our investigation. Will that give you enough time to finish your study of post isolation developments in the Myrian language Janik? It should, now that you have a vast library at your disposal." 

"Crux it. I thought I would be going with you." 

"Watch your language, young man." 

"Sorry, Lars." 

"Be sensible, Janik. The source materials you need for your studies are here." 

"But, Sir, surely you'll need me on the trip? You've no idea what problems you might encounter, and with all due respect I don't think the three of you have the skill or strength to survive in the bush." 

"We have no intention of ever going into the bush." 

"You've no idea what conditions are like up there now." 

"He's right Leitus. We really could use another able-bodied man." 

After a short muttered conversation with Lars, some shoulder shrugging, and the occasional glare at Janik, Leitus reluctantly agreed to add him to the party.  

"Realize young man that this may add several months to your graduate studies. Is that okay with you?" 

"For sure. I wouldn't miss this trip for worlds. You won't regret taking me along, I guarantee." 

"I hope not. Now Lars could you fill us in on your plans for the trip ahead."