Chapter 1: Flame of Conquest

Start from the beginning

He sighs and once again rolls his eyes as he realizes that Vid has nothing on his person except the sullied, fancy clothes. His belongings aren't visible, probably lost somewhere in the blast.

Plamen rummages through his pouch to find what will one day be his leverage over the future head of the terrifying clan of seers. Satisfied with that notion, he tosses the small package of healing supplies. It falls and bumps on the other teen's face, compelling him to utter a pained yelp, and rolls down to the ground next to him.

He doesn't wait for Vid's eyes to clear, the heterochromatic stare of his fellow examinee still unfocused as he heads off toward the cliff.

Stupid, he thinks, foolish to lose equipment. Vid should know better than to get himself nearly killed during The Grand Test of Power. And he's this year's favorite for the title of the Champion. Pathetic.

The menacing looking ridge is the path Plamen needs to take, no matter the steep upward slope. The surrounding forest leading to the cliff's summit is misleading in its seemingly lighter appearance, inviting examinees to enter the amassed greenery. A direct way to the afterlife.

He reaches out to feel the slopes and protruding ridges, searching for that small breath of magic he felt while scanning the vicinity. The stone under his fingers is jagged and sharp, but some parts are smoother than the others. It should be there, at the height of his breastbone, invisible to the naked eye.

As he searches over the uneven surface, the rising sun peeks through the canopy of trees, illuminating the modest glade. The light catches a few long strands of his loosely tied hair, the resulting reddish gleam makes him grab the offending hairs to stuff them behind his ear.

It's annoying enough that his hair has red highlights, but to light up like an inferno under the sunlight, it just paints a big target over his head. Why is his hood down in the first place? He snorts and pulls it over his head, the garnet strands now hidden under the dark green cloth.

Click.

Something gives with that unnatural sound, making Plamen jump back to take a loose stance in case something blows up. Fates have an obnoxious sense of humor and usually make things explode into Plamen's face. Well, he's set and ready this time.

After a long and anxious minute of quiet, besides hearing Vid ungracefully shuffling to his feet behind him, the ground starts to shake, rumbling almost like an earthquake, and directly in front of Plamen, the stone splits. The black gap grows and grows, followed by a roar of destruction, all the way until it resembles a cave.

The cave doesn't seem to hold the same ominous ambiance as the thick forest leading to the top. Interesting. That must be the task to overcome - either being bullheaded and battle through everything the aberrant greenery will offer or being smarter and look for clues for an easier path.

Hmm, lucky me.

"What have you done?"

Plamen stops in midstep and shifts his head to stare at the owner of that voice. Vid is clutching his head with one hand, over the white bandage that was probably hastily wrapped and is making his black hair bend into a weird shape.

It seems Plamen has been silent for too long because the other teen begins to squirm, shuffling his feet and shifting his dual-colored eyes all over the place.

"Completing the test," is all Plamen offers as an answer.

Although an idiot, Vid is still a rival, and Plamen doesn't plan on losing time on explanations. Obviously, the other boy didn't seem to get the point of this part of the test, but still managed to notice something on the hill - or has been unknowingly guided to this place by his senses at least. No matter what, this is where they part ways.