15 - An Unavoidable War

Start from the beginning

Nothing. Only cold emptiness on the other end of the connection. 

"He's gone," Zenitsu's voice roused Nezuko from her concentration. She looked down at the man and realized that his chest had fallen still. He had survived only to suffer and die a few hours later.

Nezuko said nothing, her gaze solemn. 

"Why the hell are we always so far behind these guys!?" Inosuke demanded, "They're always one step ahead of us and we're left burying corpses and following cold trails like scavengers!"

"If this continues... " Zenitsu's voice died off before he could murmur his thoughts.

"We're going to kill him," Nezuko's voice almost sounded out of place coming from the small girl. Her face was shadowed by her long locks of brown hair that hung around her face as she looked down at the dead man. "We're going to kill Muzan."

"Well... yes, but I'm afraid we don't have anything to go off of," Kyojuro stated. "That is the hope of every demon slayer."

"It's not a hope," Nezuko stated standing up and looking to the horizon, her hand on her sword's hilt, "It's a vow. "

The group returned to headquarters, disheartened and antsy. Everyone could feel the anticipation in the air... the feeling that something was about to happen. They returned to find familiar faces awaiting them.

"Mr. Urokodaki!?" Nezuko cried running up to the goblin-masked man. He was standing beside many other older people awaiting something in the garden of the butterfly estate.

"Master?" Giyu asked, walking up calmly.

"What are you doing here?" Nezuko asked.

"The demons seem to be unifying," Mr. Urokodaki answered cryptically. "They're no longer attacking randomly, they are now targeting specific people."

"What?" Nezuko asked, puzzled.

"They attacked all of us," Urokodaki explained gruffly, gesturing to the other people mulling about, "Aiming to destroy the mentors of future demon slayers."

"Indeed, not quite flamboyant of them!" a familiar voice announced.

"Uzui!?" Zenitsu cried jumping away as he realized the ex-sound pillar was right behind him.

"They attacked my house too," Tengen explained smiling, "They were quite weak though and weren't expecting the power of my mighty wives!"

"Are you alright?" Nezuko asked.

"Flamboyantly so!" Tengen smiled.

"Why would a bunch of demons attack old folks?" Inosuke demanded angrily.

"To end the demon slayers," Giyu answered, "If there are no teachers, there will be no students."

Kyojuro looked pale, "Tell me, has anyone heard from the Rengoku family?"

"I have," Urokodaki nodded slowly, "They were attacked, but it seems that they are alright now."

"Where are they?" Kyojuro asked looking around.

"Inside, I believe. Your father sustained a serious injury but will live, so I'm told," Urokodaki explained calmly.

"Thank you, kind sir!" Kyojuro announced, small sparkles emerging around him, "Now I must go check up on them!"

The flame pillar quickly made his exit, striding into the estate.

"Mr. Urokodaki, are you alright?" Nezuko asked concerned, "They didn't hurt you, right?"