11 - Connections

Nezuko ran as fast as her legs could carry her to the Demon Slayer Headquarters. She ran up the stairs and knocked on the door desperately.

The door slid open, revealing one of the Ubuyashiki children, with her distant eyes and straight white hair.

"The Master has been expecting you," she murmured stepping out of the way so that Nezuko could step into the room. The girl closed the door behind her and led Nezuko to a room that was full of candles and was completely hidden from sunlight.

Master Ubuyashiki was sitting in a chair being looked over by - 

"Lady Tamayo!" Nezuko cried happily, she ran and hugged the woman who hugged her back, smiling softly. 

Yushiro entered the room, saw the exchange, before he scoffed and crossed his arms, irked that the girl could so easily embrace the Lady. Nezuko pulled away and looked up at the demon.

"What are you doing here?" Nezuko asked.

Tamayo smiled, "I'm an old friend of the Ubuyashiki family."

"She has been working diligently to try and find a cure for my family's ailment," Master Ubuyashiki smiled, his eyes distant, "I'm glad you are here, Nezuko. I've been wanting to talk to you."

Nezuko was reminded of why she had come and she ran up to the Master's side, "Master, I felt Tanjiro again, while I was recovering. He was with Muzan and there were other demon slayers and a demon... Upper Two, I think, it's hard to remember but - "Nezuko began frantically, "But the demon slayers! Muzan - "

The master held up his hand and Nezuko immediately was silenced. 

"Hinaki," the Master asked softly. His eldest daughter, who stood in the doorway, nodded and walked away. She returned a few moments later holding a bundle of something. She laid it down softly in front of her father and Nezuko felt a heavy lump seize her throat.

"What is it?" The master asked softly.

There were five demon slayer swords, wrapped together in a familiar green and black checkered haori.

"It's Nii-chan's haori," Nezuko murmured weakly reaching out and touching the fabric that was stained with blood.

"I feared as much," the Master murmured.

Lady Tamayo put a reassuring hand on Nezuko's shoulder, "Tanjiro is alright, I'm certain you would know if he was - "

"No, Nii-chan's... alive," Nezuko nodded, certain.

"Hinaki... unwrap it, please," the Master ordered softly.

Hinaki crouched down and unwrapped the haori revealing its contents. Yushiro stiffened from where he stood and Tamayo closed her eyes for a moment. Nezuko only stared at the contents in horror. The five swords were all broken and covered in blood, but lying among them were five eyeballs, with kanji etched into them. Laying among the demon slayer swords were all that remained of the Lower Moons.

"The eyes of the lower moons, but only those that Muzan touched," Master Ubuyashiki murmured knowingly.

"What does it mean?" Yushiro asked in a low voice as he looked to Tamayo.

"It means he is disposing of those he deems as 'weaklings' in his ranks," Tamayo murmured, opening her eyes and gazing sadly at the eyeballs.

"He's also struck out at a few of my children," the Master stated sadly, Nezuko looked over the demon slayer swords and grimaced.

"Where did you get this?" Nezuko asked, trembling.

"It arrived on our doorstep at midnight," Hinaki explained, "A human who served Muzan must've delivered it."