15 - An Unavoidable War

Nezuko clenched her teeth as she, Zenitsu, Inosuke, Kyojuro, and Giyu walked through the rubble of yet another town. The half-moon shone mercilessly, illuminating the horror before them.

"We were too late," Nezuko murmured touching a piece of scorched wood, it was still warm to the touch... the last of the fires must've only just gone out.

It was a brutal scene of destruction, the buildings were piles of stones and fallen wooden beams that had all been burned beyond recognition. The remaining corpses of the town's inhabitants had all been turned to ash.

Months had passed. Every week it seemed another random town was hit. There was no rhyme or reason, it was gone. All of the towns that were hit had been small, unnoticeable to the outside world, and hardly missed. They were by no main roads or important routes and with no correspondence, no one noticed their brutal destruction.

Muzan. Nezuko felt it in her bones, this entire town reeked of the man's cruel intentions and cold demeanor. He probably massacred these people without blinking. It made Nezuko's blood boil just thinking about it.

"HEY!" they heard Zentisu cry from a few meters away, "Hey! He's still alive!"

They all raced over to where Zenitsu was pulling a wounded man out from beneath a pile of rubble. The man's legs were twisted at abnormal angles and his face had been burned gruesomely. Nezuko ran to the two's side and knelt, studying the man who was stirring weakly.

"Does he remember anything?" Inosuke asked eagerly.

"He's hardly conscious, show some decency!" Zenitsu reprimanded his comrade.

"He does not look too good," Kyojuro announced grimly. Giyu said nothing. 

Seemingly stirred by human voices, the man's eyes flickered open and glanced at the demon slayers, his eyes distant and clouded in pain.

"Where... where'd they go?" the man rasped, his voice sounding like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together.

"They who?" Nezuko asked softly kneeling beside the man.

"The men?" the man asked looking around, his eyes held a glassy look, "Where'd they go?"

"What men?" Nezuko asked.

"Speak clearly!" Inosuke demanded.

"The ones... the monsters," the man murmured weakly. "The ones who were attacking. Are they gone? Is it safe?"

Nezuko nodded, her eyes dark, "Do you remember what happened?"

The man's eyes were full of tears as his breaths became strained, "It was terrible. There was one with... so many eyes. And the one with the fans was... eating, he was eating people. And the white one with the stripes just killed all of the men trying to fight. We couldn't - I couldn't... and then some of us turned into things and they - they attacked each other! There was a fire and... and a man. He was so calm and so clean... like it was... like he was on a business trip. He was so calm..."

Nezuko's gaze was fierce as she thought of Muzan's cruelty.

"We need to get him to a doctor," Zenitsu cried as the man began to lose consciousness.

"There's nothing nearby," Giyu stated simply, his voice held a sorrowful tint to it.

Nezuko looked over the man's wounds and then closed her eyes.

"Tanjiro," she thought, blasting her thoughts outward, begging her brother to answer, "Nii-chan, what's going on? People are dying. There's so much suffering. Please answer... what's going on?"