10 - Disobedience

Tanjiro stood beside Muzan, looking at Akaza who was on his knees.

"You could not kill the hashira," Muzan asked dangerously.

"I could've," Akaza answered bitterly, "But the sun came up."

"Why was it so hard?" Muzan demanded.

"The hashira are formidable foes, they aren't easily daunted or slain," Akaza answered honestly, "I probably could've killed Rengoku... but there were others there and Enmu failed."

"It was the girl, wasn't it?" Muzan asked in a low tone. 

"She had a black sword, and hanafuda earrings," Akaza answered staring at the floor, "And... she could heal."

"Heal?" Muzan asked, "Like she's consumed demon flesh?"

"Kinda," Akaza admitted, "She stopped me before I could slay Rengoku."

"A mere girl stopped you from slaying a hashira?" Muzan asked.

"It wasn't just that!" Akaza defended desperately, "They were expecting me!"

For the first time in a long time, Muzan looked surprised. His eyes narrowed and he peered at Akaza, "What do you mean, they were expecting you?"

Akaza shifted nervously under Muzan's gaze, "When I attacked, one of the weaker slayers announced that I was there, but he said it like they were expecting my arrival and waiting. And then, Rengoku was ready for me from the moment I landed, none of them were surprised to see me."

Muzan's eyes showed that the demon lord was deep in thought. "Enmu didn't know you were coming... he couldn't have said anything. No one knew you were..."

Muzan's voice died away as he slowly looked to Tanjiro. His gaze was fierce and dangerous.

"Boy," Muzan demanded, making Tanjiro flinch, "Did you have something to do with this?"

Tanjiro kept his mind absolutely blank. Muzan grabbed the boy by his neck and lifted him a few inches off of the floor, his long nails digging into Tanjiro's cheeks.

"Don't you hide your thoughts from me," Muzan growled. Tanjiro grabbed Muzan's outstretched wrist and struggled. Muzan's nails dug deeper into his face drawing blood and making the boy grit his teeth.

"How did you tell her?" Muzan demanded.

Tanjiro shook his head no and gritted his teeth.

"How!?" Muzan snarled tightening his grip on the boy's neck and digging his nails deeper into the boy's face scraping them down the boy's cheeks.

Tanjiro glared at Muzan despite the pain and opened his mouth, "No," he stated simply.

Muzan's eyes glowed dangerously and in anger, he tightened his grip, crushed Tanjiro's neck and windpipe. Tanjiro writhed but Muzan didn't release him.

"You can't hide your thoughts from me, I own you," Muzan snarled glaring at the boy. Tanjiro had tears spill from his eyes as his throat was crushed.

"Something happened to her... that day... in the snow. She was bleeding," Muzan began peering into Tanjiro's mind. Every time Tanjiro tried to hide it Muzan would tighten his grip again. "She was bleeding and you were trying so hard not to devour her," Muzan voiced, "She saw that I had pierced you... she saw the area where I had given you my blood."

Tanjiro struggled but Muzan held him steady, looking calm and completely in control, like holding the writhing demon was as easy as picking up a feather.

"She touched your blood... her blood touched yours... You're connected," Muzan hissed understanding.

Tanjiro lashed out with his claws and sunk them into Muzan's arm. Muzan sneered and tossed the boy away. He landed with a sorry 'thump' a few feet away and slowly crawled onto his hands and knees.