1: walk straight and don't trip

Jessica

"Stop laughing, or this eyeliner will go into your eye."

I giggle.

"Jessica," Meredith warns. I put my phone down with the dog video on it on the table and look at her from the mirror.

"Mere, the dog was singing and I can't laugh?"

She rolled her eyes. I honestly don't know how she puts up with me. For the past year now, she's been doing my hair and makeup before every show, every event, and every photoshoot.

I would've quit if I was in her position. I was only 18, so I still wanted to live a little and I was a bit childish around people I was comfortable with.

I wasn't sure how to act like a "celebrity", even though it's been over a year. I just lived my life how I wanted to.

"You showed me that this morning. Just sit still, I'm almost done." Meredith smiled at me. She was a very important person in my life. She was in her early thirties with two young kids that I adored. She was always here to listen when I'd need her.

The trailer door opened to my manager, Jane. She looked like she'd been running around all day, which she probably has.

"Hey, Jessica, wardrobe is ready whenever you are. You have to try on outfit three, they made some changes."

I nod. I didn't understand why I needed three outfits for the AMAs. I was performing, but I don't like being rushed into one outfit to another.

"Meredith, how much longer on her hair and makeup?" Jane was scrolling through her phone.

"I haven't started her hair yet, so probably another half an hour."

Jane didn't seem pleased with the answer, but knew it wasn't Mere's fault. She gave me a pointed look.

"You will not be late to rehearsals, alright? After your hair, go straight to wardrobe."

I nod my head again with an innocent look on my face. Jane was fun to mess around with, but do not push her too far. One time, I had been late to a meeting, and ever since then she has made me bring donuts for everyone there.

She opened the trailer door and stepped onto the dirt before turning around.

"I better not see you and Harry running off and getting lost, like last time."

"Okay, okay, okay, Jane. I promise."

Meredith pulled out a hair straightener and heat protectant and began working on my wavy mess.

"Harry's sitting next to you inside, right?" Meredith asked me.

"Yeah, I tried to make him walk the red carpet with me, but--"

"Honey, it doesn't work that way," she cut me off.

I laugh. "I know."

Harry and I were very close. He's a choreographer and photographer, and is pretty much the only person who I feel understands me.

I was also kind of in love with him.

We've known each other for a year now, and since the day I'd met him, I knew it would eventually happen.

I don't think he feels anything for me other than friendship.

"Are you nervous for your performance?"

I let out a hard laugh and held out my arm so that she could see it. I was shaking like a leaf.

She scoffed. "Don't you worry, Jess, you always knock everyone's socks off."