63: talk about it (part 2)

Fun fact: Selena Gomez and I were both in Buena Park, CA on the 17th and I never ran into her :/ she was there for the Knotts Scary Berry Farm, and I passed that place so many times on the way to softball ;(

// Vote and comment a bunch (: 💞😉

April 16th, 2015
Boston, Massachusetts

Jess

"Fix her lipstick."

"Where's the brush?"

"Someone get me powder!"

"Take the video on the side of her."

"Jessica, you have your speech right? You know what to say?" I think that was Jane. I nod my head.

"Who has her shoes?"

There were six hands touching me at once, about four cameras surrounding me, and several people shouting orders.

"Three minutes!" Someone belts.

"Clear the room, please! She looks fine!" Jane yells right after.

There were one or two reluctant people who still tried to fix my lipstick, but once Jane told them to leave again, they complied.

She rested her hands on my shoulders. I couldn't meet her eyes.

"Breathe, Jess. This is no big deal. Give a speech. Move on. Okay?"

No big deal, my ass.

I was a role model to these people. They looked to me for strength. If I wasn't strong, then what was I?

"There's nothing you can say that would stop those people from worshiping the ground you walk on. You're powerful and strong. You've got this, babe," Jane says.

I lifted my head and sucked in a breath, then let it out.

"I'll be right here after," she assures. She gives a small smile and presses down a stray hair that escaped from my tight, low ponytail.

I nod. "Thank you," I whisper.

"Jessica Steele! One minute!"

A man walks over to me and hooks a mic to the back of my white gown. I clutch the two sheets of paper that have my speech typed up on it. My hands were a little shaky with nerves.

"Without further ado, please welcome, Miss Jessica Steele."

The curtain is pushed to the side by two stage crew members and I walk out, careful not to trip over my dress while wearing my heels.

Everyone in the room was clapping while seated at their round tables of 8. I shake hands with the director of the gala who'd announced me and she gives me a hug.

"You'll do great, Jessica. Thank you," she murmurs in my ear.

"Thank you so much," I say back. She leaves the stage and I walk up to stand behind the podium. The room is still applauding and I nod gratefully to them, keeping a humble smile on my face.