Distracted

Recap:

            Most importantly, how was Elizabeth supposed to say that, despite hating that secret wish which caused all this, she actually found herself thinking about him every waking moment?

            Elizabeth felt like screaming with embarrassment even as they parked inside the school lot and walked to class, but everything that happened that morning was completely blown from her mind when she caught Annie’s eye.

New Upload:

            Or was she really Annie? Elizabeth stumbled out of the car, their eyes locked, one pair wide with shock and the other tired, defeated, and swallowed in dark circles. Annie let her shining image as the cute, model student of the school hit rock bottom in just a few days. Annie’s hair was tied in a sagging ponytail, her back was bent with exhaustion, and her face; just what the hell happened to her face?

            It was covered in shallow scratches, the thin scabs crisscrossing her face like threads. Her lips were cracked and ripped, and a big purple blotch lay smack in the middle of her nose bridge. And her eyes; they seemed to sightlessly stare at Elizabeth’s until a flash of recognition hit them. Suddenly, without further reaction, they dimmed, and Annie emotionlessly turned away, heading back to class.

            “What the-” Elizabeth heard Vincent mutter, echoing her thoughts. “Was that Annie?”

            His question was never answered, for at least twenty students attacked him, all shouting over each other and hollering “you’re back!”

            Elizabeth found herself also surrounded by classmates, to her great surprise, and not a single question about how she got a ride from Vincent arose. Instead, everyone was in a flurry of excitement, asking them what they had gone through.

            “Did you get sick?”

            “How did you survive the fall?”

            “Oh my god, Vincent, if you scare me like that again, I’ll kill you!”

            “Liz, your breast size shrunk!”

            The guy who said that went flying into the car, and Elizabeth stomped off to class, not even bothering to see who she punched in that sea of faces.

            The guy cursed as he rubbed his head on the floor, nearly trampled by students until a teacher came.

            “Deesperse, yeh stoopid brats! Oh, aw awt ta hang yeh rascals by yeh tumbs for tis! Deesperse, yeh villains, deesperse!” the grizzly old man shouted as he flung his arms left and right, forcing the students to flee in case they got broken noses

            “Thanks, Mr. O’Donnell,” Vincent called as the old man hobbled back to the building.

            “Just daont make meh do tat agin, boy!” Mr. O’Donnell shouted angrily over his shoulder. “Geez, yeh kids’ ‘ormones just grow every year, eh?”

            Vincent laughed as he hauled the guy off of the parking lot floor. “Stop groaning; you know how Liz would react to that.”

            “Aw daont need yeh stoopid lectures, boy. Doant go a’sassin’ meh when yeh fell daown a waterfall an’ nearly died,” Andre mimicked the old man, as he punched Vincent in the shoulder.

            The two laughed and talked about what happened during the blizzard as they strolled off to school, each catching up on what they missed over the past few days.