I Will Keep You Safe Ana, I Promise

The Lion And His Lioness -- A Hamilton Fanfiction
Chapter 18 - I Will Keep You Safe Ana, I Promise

Ella
It had been nine months. Nine whole months since my daughter was put into this coma. My husband and I had talked it out and he didn't try for a divorce. Instead, he's trying to connect better with Baby's father which was lucky for us. "Hey, sweetheart," I greeted as I sat down next to her still and lifeless-looking body. Looking around the room, I took everything in like I had been doing for these past nine months.

Esperanza's bed was in between two others. One, which was by the window, was occupied whilst the other, nearest the door, was vacant. It hadn't been in the first three months we were here but unfortunately the person hadn't made it. So that bed was free. Above my baby's headboard was a remote control that had a button that called a nurse, a doctor, and buttons to adjust the bed. The bed had a bedside table next to it which had a few cards from Baby's friends that had gone on holiday during her time in the coma, some 'Get Well Soon' cards from her grandparents, a Hamilton Playbill that her Uncle was going to give her for her birthday but the doctors don't think she'll be awake for her birthday. As I looked at the other person, I instantly recognised the person visiting them.

"Lin?" I asked, getting up and making my way over to him and the person in the bed. Lin spun around, his eyes wide. "Lin, is it really you? After all these years?"

His eyes widened significantly as he remembered who I was. "Ella?" He asked in disbelief. I nodded, both of us immediately hugging the other in comfort and for seeking comfort. "W-What are you doing here? Who are you visiting?"

I looked back at my daughter with a sad gaze before looking back at my childhood friend. "My daughter," I responded. "She's been in a coma for nine months now. The doctors don't think that she'll be awake for her eleventh birthday."

I saw tears immediately gather in Lin's eyes. He was there when my little baby was born, when she said her first word, when she took her first steps, practically her first everything. He was her honorary Uncle, but Elliot and I were thinking of making him and Vanessa, Lin's wife, her Godparents. "What happened that caused her to be in a coma?" He questioned, snapping me out of my intrusive thoughts. We made our way over to where Ran lay, still lifeless as if she were dead. Lin immediately took the seat that was opposite me, taking Ran's hand in his.

"S-She.... Her and James were walking to school nine months ago, they always meet up in the mornings." I started, tears starting to gather as I remembered how broken James was when he told us. "She had checked both ways before crossing, James had told us she had. The car was speeding apparently, and Ran hadn't seen or heard the car. She got to the intersection, checked both ways. There was nothing coming, so she crossed. That's when the car came around the corner."

"Where did this happen?"

"75 Broadway," I answered truthfully, tears in my eyes. Lin nodded, not looking up from where he was looking. Deciding he wanted to hear the rest of what happened, I continued. "The car came around the corner. James said that she had saw his face change drastically and attempted to walk quicker. That's when she probably heard it; tyres against the road. Ran attempted to walk quicker to the other side but she didn't make it. The car and her body made impact which launched her body a good few feet away. Just as they were loading her up into the ambulance, she went into a coma."

Lin
After Ella's story, I was silent. What could I say? 'How awful'? No, that would be disrespectful, wouldn't it? I don't know. And so, I stayed silent and kept looking at my honorary niece's frozen face. It was as if she were frozen in time, as if she were some other place, some other time. Was she? Could she be? Was she some other place, some other time?