Chapter Ten

Chapter ten! Yayyyyyyy! Ten whole chapters of me doing, like, absolutely nothing XD.

But seriously, I only just turned my ideas into something resembling a plot. And it's not even, like, a plot. Just a sequence of bullet points that are ideas for events. But hey, if you guys like it, I will gladly continue blindly typing words and pretending I know what I'm doing. Here's hoping it doesn't turn out terribly!

Crowd: Oh, don't worry. It will.

Me: Shut up losers.

Crowd: Takes one to know one.

Me: oH, sOoOoO oRiGiNaL!

Crowd: It's not like you're original. You're typing fanfiction, for one thing!

Me: ...just shut up.

Some news for you guys (if you don't have/stalk instagram):

1) Book nine won't be released until 2021! AHHHHH!

2) But... this November will bring "KotLC 8.5: Unlocked."

Btw I am NOT changing the title of Swan Song!

So, anyway, enjoyyyyyyy!

"So, I have good news and bad news." Grady said, walking into Sophie's bedroom.

Sophie groaned. "When adults say that, it usually means 'I have bad news that I'm going to sugarcoat.'"

Grady laughed. "Well... that's fair. But this news actually could be interpreted as good or bad."

"Okay... so... what is it?" Her mind, thankfully, stopped imagining worst case scenarios and began trying to think of things that could be good or bad. It was pretty hard (Grady killed Fitz for dumping Sophie, maybe? The world was experiencing a butterblast shortage but a mallowmelt excess? Mmm... mallowmelt. Okay, focus, Sophie. Um... Alina had been kicked off of the council? Wait, that was just good news. Nothing bad about that one. Um...)

"Magnate Leto, or, Mr. Forkle, informed me that Foxfire will be reopening, starting tomorrow."

"Is that the good news or the bad news?" Sophie asked.

"I don't know. Which do you think it is?"

"Um... probably good news." Sophie decided. Honestly, yeah. She would lose her mind (even more so) after a few more days with virtually nothing to do except watch Keefe sleep, bother Dex, and play base quest. School might be boring sometimes... but at least it was something to do. Then she remembered... "Is there bad news?"

"Again, this might not be considered bad news. It's still on the 'Foxfire' topic. Since we spent a while without school, they'll be lengthening the school days and shortening the breaks so that you can finish the school year with an actual education."

Sophie groaned, but then again, that did make sense. Still, though. Longer school days!? Shorter breaks!? Ugh!

"Why are they reopening Foxfire anyway?" Sophie asked. "It's not like anything's changed; we did imprison Blur, but Fintan is still out there somewhere. Plus all the other Neverseen members."

"Yeah..." Grady said. He rolled his eyes. "Probably because the Council is trying to show the Neverseen that 'they're not scared' or 'the Neverseen can't come between these kids and their EDUCATIONS!'"

Sophie shrugged, not really having the energy to resume hating every one of the Council's decisions. "Okay. That it?"

"Oh, also, some more good news: Your mother's making mallowmelt!"

~I was trying not to use these but oh well...~

(Btw I totally forgot Sophie's schedule so I'm making this up.)

Walking into Foxfire didn't feel weird at all- Sophie was there nearly every day to visit Keefe anyway. But it was weird to take a different path than the one leading to the Healing Center. And it was definitely weird to re-enter the green Level Four halls and walk to a multispecial studies class (with her multispecial bodyguards trailing her, of course.) The lesson wasn't so bad- it wasn't really a lesson so much as a quiz Sophie had to take to see how much she remembered (um, photographic memory?) and where her mentor, Lady Waleska, should pick up. Then she got to go to lunch and try not to think about what was in the food (if it could even deserve to be called food). Next was an awkward telepathy session with EBWSATBJFWBMSLSNS! Yay!

"So, um, I know your relationship has been a little..." Tiergan cleared his throat. "Um, rocky, lately, and no, I don't feel the need to know the details, but I will say you should work on rebuilding your trust. Since I trust you two, I'll be leaving you guys alone while I go talk to Mr. Forkle. Bye!"

Sophie and Fitz stared at each other for a few moments after Tiergan left the room. Don't blush- ooh! Teal!- don't blush don't blush don't blush- Does he still like me?- don't blush don't blush- Do I still like him?- don't blush-

"So... should we each share our deepest, darkest secret?" Fitz asked.

Sophie groaned. "Oh mallowmelt no! We are not doing this again!"

Fitz chuckled. "Fair enough. Um... should we just ask each other questions? Since I don't want to make this too daunting for you, how about we each get a free pass where we can say 'nope, not answering that one.' Sound good?"

Not really, but... "I guess. You go first."

"Okay. Um... did Forkle tell you who your dad is? I promise I'm not asking for matchmaking related reasons. I'm just curious."

"Actually, no. I don't really want to know either." Sophie answered honestly, glad that wasn't too too bad.

"Your turn."

"Um..." Sophie searched her brain, and finally, a question that had sort of been nagging at her came to mind. "If you could go back in time, with full knowledge of everything that's happened in the past few years... would you ignore me that day you saw me in the museum?"

"No." Fitz answered.

"Promise that's the truth?"

"Promise."

~Oh look I'm using these again~

The next four days went in a relatively uneventful fashion. Sophie soon settled back into the school routine, but still disliked the extended day (although, they did get rid of study hall, so that's a plus!) Once it was the weekend, Sophie found herself settling back into the Pre-Foxfire's-Reopening routine of "Nothing to do."

Eventually she decided to go over to Everglen (hopefully she wouldn't see Fitz- Telepathy together had made things kinda awkward again), where Biana gave her a makeover. While she was braiding Sophie's hair, Biana told her that her parents were starting to ask her about matchmaking. Eventually, the two girls settled on "Go get the match packet, don't fill it out, and then wait until Biana feels ready before telling them," as the solution.

Biana still refused to tell Sophie her crush.

Sophie decided she couldn't really keep pressing Biana- after all, she hadn't told anyone about her old crush on Fitz (even though everyone could tell- but that's a different matter.)

Around lunchtime, she went back home, did a bit of homework, played with Iggy, and finally...

Received a hail from Dex.

"Sophie! Sophie, come on over to my house as soon as you can! Bye!"

Ahahaha cliffhanger! Next chapter (and like 5 chapters after that) have already been written, actually, and will be uploaded every three-five days (just to torture you guys! :)).

Anywayyyyyy... this chapter was basically a filler chapter, but I wanted to reopen Foxfire so I did!

Anyway, the next few chapters shall be HIGHLY eventful. Just saying, though...

You guys are definitely going to want to kill me! :)

(Shady Black Belt Protection Squad ™!)

Please vote and comment!