Chapter 22

Before we go any further I'd like to clarify something!!! As you may be aware, Nora and Spencer's story begins toward the start of Season 7. After some research, I've determined Spencer's birthday to be toward the end of summer/early fall. A little further into season 7, we see that it's Valentine's Day (around the time when Hotch meets Beth). Then toward the end of season 7 it seems to be closer to summer again, so they basically omitted the holidays in this season I am assuming? As a result, I'm kinda just pulling things out of my own brain to help their sweet story flow along with the show's story line! Thank you for your time, please let me know how it's working so far!

 Then toward the end of season 7 it seems to be closer to summer again, so they basically omitted the holidays in this season I am assuming? As a result, I'm kinda just pulling things out of my own brain to help their sweet story flow along with t...

"What are your plans for Christmas?" JJ asked Morgan as they all prepared to leave for a short but much needed break over the holiday.
"Going back home." He smiled happily. "It's been awhile since I've seen the family."
"That's great. My mom is on her way into town as we speak. What about you Spence? Do you and Nora have anything special planned?"
  Spencer smiled down at the newest addition to his desk: a framed photo of Nora, Lancelot and himself that Rossi had taken a few weeks ago.
"We're actually flying to Las Vegas to see my mom."
"Oh, that's great. Has Nora ever met your mom?"
"Not anything that she would remember. Her mom and my mom were actually roommates in college, and the last time they saw each other in person Nora was only a baby. Around a year and a half old I'd guess. That was the first time I'd ever met Nora, actually."
"You were what, four? Five? Do you even remember?"
"Five, and barely. Mrs. Stewart had come to visit my mom on a business trip, and decided to bring Nora and her father along with. They came over for dinner one evening. The only thing I really remember is that Nora wouldn't leave my books alone. She kept pulling them off the shelves and chewing on the corners."
They all laughed at the thought. JJ could relate, having experienced parenthood herself. Teething babies stuck everything in their mouths.
"Sounds about right." She chuckled.
"We didn't see each other again until I was twelve and she was eight, when I moved in with her family and started school at CalTech. Her dad was a professor there. Of course she didn't remember me, so it might as well have been the first time we met."
"Well I hope you guys have a great trip. Are you taking Lancelot with you?"
"No, actually we're leaving him with Garcia. Nora should be on her way to drop him off there now."
"I'm sure she's happy about that." Morgan smiled, thinking about how excited his best friend probably was to watch their dog.
"She is. Nora's really nervous though. She's had Lancelot by her side at all times for eight months and three days. I guarantee she has probably written an entire book full of instructions for Garcia just in case."
"I'm sure they'll both do great. Besides, Lancelot will have Garcia who I'm sure will spoil the heck out of him, and Nora will have you with her. Everything will be fine."
"Thanks. I think so too."

***

  Spencer and Nora's flight to Las Vegas was that evening, so he had driven his car to work that day. After running home to grab their luggage they had packed the day before, he picked up Nora from Garcia's apartment and headed to the airport.
  She was anxious in the car, as she always was. She hated being in the car and flat out refused to get her license. It was understandable, considering she had been involved in two major collisions that had resulted in the fatalities of both of her parents. After they boarded the airplane, she relaxed a little bit but Spencer could tell that she was still feeling uneasy. She kept crossing and uncrossing her legs, fidgeting with the buttons of her shirt, and tapping her fingers on her knee. Periodically she would gnaw on the edge of her bottom lip as she stared out the window. Spencer reached a hand over and gave her knee a gentle squeeze.
"Is everything alright?" He whispered, leaning close to her.
"Yeah." She replied, placing her hand on top of his. "Just a little nervous is all."
"Nervous about the flight?"
"No, no. Air travel is overwhelmingly safer than traveling in a vehicle. Did you know that you're actually three times more likely to die from choking while you eat than you are to die in an airplane?"
"I... I did know that." He smiled widely. He loved it when she talked statistics to him. "Will you tell me what you are nervous about?"
"Um... it's dumb, really."
"I would still like to hear it if you don't mind telling me." He said, interlocking their fingers.
"Well, I'm nervous to meet your mom. What if she doesn't like me? I don't want to ruin Christmas for you or her because she doesn't like who her son is dating and-"
"Woah, woah... I'm going to stop you right there. She's going to love you."
"How do you know that?"
"Well for one, I've already told her about you and she is beyond excited to see you."
"She remembers me?"
"She does."
There was a short pause before she smiled up at him gratefully.
"Alright I'll take your word for it. I'm just worried she'll think I'm not good enough to be with someone like you. Her only son."
"Of course you are. How could you not be?"
Nora said nothing, instead just shrugging her shoulders and glancing back out of the dark window. Spencer stared at the side of her face for a few moments, wondering how she could again be doubting whether or not she was good enough to be with him. He was amazed every single day that a woman as resilient and extraordinary and beautiful as the one sitting beside him now, gripping his hand tightly and accompanying him to Las Vegas to meet his mother, would even look twice at someone like him.
  The flight got in late, and the young couple checked in to their hotel. It was a simple room near his mother's hospital. The plan was to spend the next day, Christmas Eve, visiting with Spencer's mother and sightseeing around town. Then Christmas Day would be spent entirely with her, and they would fly back home the following morning.
  They were both exhausted, Nora not even noticing that there was only one bed in the room. She and Spencer fell asleep together most nights anyways, either on the couch or when she would ask him to stay with her in what had formerly been his room. Having him close kept the nightmares at bay. They changed into the lie pajamas, brushed their teeth and fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the starchy pillows.