Chapter 21

Spencer was on edge

  Spencer was on edge. His trip to the florist shop had produced no leads, not that it came as much of a surprise. If Mike was behind this, which both he and Nora were sure that he was, he was doing a good job of making sure all his tracks were covered. The flowers were paid for in cash by a man that Spencer did not recognize. He had the video footage sent to Garcia to try and figure out who it was that bought them through facial recognition.
He filed all his usual paperwork in record time and spent the remainder of his day in Garcia's office. He was having her explore every possible lead that he could think of. There was hardly a thing to go off of. There were no other unusual body counts next to Brian's last known property in Idaho. Spencer had Garcia expand her search statewide, but without a specific MO it was impossible to determine if any unsolved cases were tied to Brian or Mike.
He had Garcia dive into Brian's past, remembering that Nora had said they shared a foster home at one point, but there were no Mikes or Michaels in any foster homes with Brian. That meant that Mike was probably a fake name, used only in front of Nora and her mother so that his true identity would remain a secret. Or it possibly meant that Mike and Brian were never in a foster home together, that it had been a lie. Nora had told him that they had moved twice since she had been taken, which meant there was one property between Pasadena California and Fairfield Idaho that they had no knowledge of.
Going over the medical examiner's report on the victim that was found outside of Nora's work, he found that the cause of death was ruled a pharmacological homicide. The victim had high amounts of phencyclidine in her system, which made it hard to determine which wounds were forced upon her and which ones were self inflicted. Phencyclidine, or PCP, numbed it's user's pain receptors. This along with strong hallucinations often caused the user to injure themselves without realizing it. It was clear to the examiner that the woman had died before she was put in the dumpster outside of the bookstore, which is why it was not ruled a suicide.
There were so many loose ends that he couldn't possibly build a workable profile. He hated that he had to go home and tell Nora that they had nothing. He thanked Garcia profusely for all her help, and left for the day.

***

Almost a month went by. Thanksgiving was approaching, and Nora had insisted that Rossi join them for a turkey dinner. Rossi didn't usually celebrate Thanksgiving, and neither did Spencer aside from the food. So she decided to bring them all together to have her first traditional turkey dinner in six years. She had also begged Spencer to let her show him how to cook a turkey.
"Wait, what?! No way am I sticking my hand in there." Spencer said, looking disgusted.
"You have to! The neck and giblets have to come out or it could make us all sick." Nora explained with her hands on her hips. He stared down at her, cursing himself for being so captivated by the little woman staring up at him stubbornly.
"Come on!" She prodded. "Hands can be washed. Get those guts out of our bird, Doctor."
  Her smirk was maddening, knowing that she was fully aware of how much he did not want to be elbow deep in the ass end of a turkey carcass. Sighing in defeat, he began to roll up his sleeves.
"I'm pretty sure that after today I'll be going vegan, just so you know. This is disgusting." He said sarcastically.
"You'll be whistling a different tune when this bird is finished and so perfectly cooked that it's falling off the bone."
  Spencer rolled his eyes, but there was a smile on his face that he saved just for her. He was pretty sure she could convince him to do anything at this point, with her big green eyes and perfectly freckled nose and her smile that was as bright as the sun. The doorbell rang just then.
"Rossi's here!" She exclaimed excitedly. It was the first time that they'd had official company together in his home. "I'll get the door. Don't have too much fun with that turkey."
He shot her a glare and she winked mischievously at him as she rushed from the room to answer the door.
"You're early!" She said, throwing the door open and welcoming the man with a hug.
"I figured I'd bring the appetizers." He said with a smile as he held up several bottles of wine that he carried in a tote.
"You're speaking my language, caro amico." She laughed, opening the door wide to let him in as Lancelot sniffed around excitedly. "I have Spencer prepping the turkey now. It would be a shame if we missed it."
The next few hours were spent playing card games and drinking wine. There was much laughter, even as Nora kept visiting the kitchen to prepare food for their dinner. She was making a classic assortment of good old American comfort foods. Turkey, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, Mac n' cheese, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie for dessert. When it was finally time to sit down for dinner, Nora insisted that they all take turns sharing what they were grateful for.
"Today I am grateful for the people in this room and this delicious-looking turkey that Reid violated in order for us to share it together." Rossi said with a smile, causing Nora to laugh in the exuberant way that she did. Spencer rubbed his temples, trying but failing to hide his smile and look annoyed instead.
"I didn't violate it. I handled it with finesse." He stated and Nora laughed again. "On that note, I'm thankful for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for giving us the gift of Sherlock Holmes. I am thankful for you, Rossi, and all the wine you've brought. And I'm thankful for you, Nora. For being the beautiful, bright, shining light that you are." He smiled at her and she swallowed hard before returning it.
"I'm going to have to agree with you in being thankful for David's company, his friendship and of course the wine. I'm also thankful to Lancelot for being the best furry friend I could ever imagine. Lastly, I'm thankful for you as well Spence. You've given me a gift that nothing else will ever measure up to. Thank you, for my life."
  There was a moment of stillness as they all looked around gratefully at one another, then Rossi raised his wine glass.
"Salute."
"Salute!" Spencer and Nora echoed, raising their glasses as well.
  The conversation while they ate was lively and full of laughter. They all ate their fill plus more, and then had pie on top of that. All three eventually helped clear the table, and Spencer started on the dishes.
"Are you staying here tonight, Dave? I don't want you driving after all that wine and turkey."
"Oh, no, thank you. I took a cab here and I planned on calling one for the ride home as well. Your hospitality is greatly appreciated."
"You're family, and welcome any time. I'll put together some leftovers to take home, okay?"
"I'd love that. You know your way around a kitchen, passerotta." He said kindly.
Once everything was cleaned up and put away, they took a quick walk. At one point the passed a brick wall and Nora had a thought.
"Hey Dave? Would you uh... would you mind taking a photo with me, and then possibly taking one of Spence and I?"
"Of course." He said graciously.
"Thank you. I just- I want to remember today. I'd like to start taking more pictures. I've been here seven months don't have a picture with anyone but Lancelot."
"You don't have to explain a thing. Just smile big." He said, while Nora handed Spencer her phone.
  Spencer counted to three and snapped the picture. He then passed the phone to Rossi and joined Nora by the brick wall. Nora wrapped both arms tightly around his waist and he smiled down at her. Rossi snapped the photo, and then instructed them to smile. They did, with smiles as wide as ever as Spencer leaned down to be closer to Nora's height and Nora stood on her tiptoes to try and match his. Rossi chuckled at the young couple, handing Nora back her phone.
"Thank you." She said gratefully, slipping it back into her pocket.
"It's no problem at all."
  They made it back to the apartment and turned on one of Spencer's favorite movies. It was a Clint Eastwood film that Nora hadn't ever seen before. Rossi had called for a cab and settled into the oversized armchair, while Spencer and Nora cozied up on the couch. He threw an arm over her shoulders and pulled her close, and she let her head fall back against his chest. It wasn't long before they were both breathing deeply and rhythmically, fast asleep. The hearty meal and the great company they'd shared had made them all tired, Rossi included. He was happy just then that he'd decided to take a cab home and effectively enjoy his evening with Spencer who was like a son to him and Nora who had quickly worked her way into his heart as a daughter figure. As his phone chimed letting him know that his cab was waiting for him outside, he stood and grabbed Nora's phone that lay on the coffee table. Opening the camera feature, he snapped a photo of the two as they slept peacefully. He set the phone down gently back on the table, and Spencer opened his eyes just then. Sleepily, he looked up at Rossi.
"I'm sorry, I must have dozed off. Are you headed out?" He asked in a whisper.
"I am. Tell Nora that I thank you both for such a splendid evening. I hope we can do this again next year." Rossi's voice was also quiet, not wanting to wake Nora.
"I will. Text me after you get home alright."
"Absolutely. Sleep good, kid."
  With that he stood and exited the apartment, Lancelot walking him to the door. Spencer carefully, slowly slid his arm out from underneath Nora's head and went over to deadbolt and chain the front door. Turning back toward the living room after giving Lancelot a quick scratch behind his ears, he turned off the movie they had barely watched and turned to Nora. In his short absence, she had curled into a little ball on the couch. Her lips were parted slightly, and one of her arms supported her head like a pillow. He smiled down at her a moment, before kneeling slowly next to her. Brushing a bit of stray hair from her face, he placed a feather-light kiss on her brow. Then another on the tip of her nose. She roused gently, blinking a little against the lamplight.
"Did I fall asleep?" She asked, her words sluggish and sleepy, it made Spencer smile.
"You did. We both did, actually. I woke up right as Rossi was leaving."
"Oh, I feel bad. I wanted to thank him for joining us today."
"He knows. He told me to tell you that he would like to do this each year, if you're okay with that."
  There was a pause as they both realized that would have to mean they were both in the same spot this time next year. That they were still both together next year the way they were now. Nora was suddenly struck by the weight of her future with Spencer. She had worried about it excessively before, but lately it had been easier to simply focus on each day as it came and not worry about what the future held. Too sleepy to look too much into it right this instant, she simply smiled at Spencer before letting her eyes fall closed again. She was so tired, but contently so. 
"You should go to bed." Spencer murmured, his lips close to her ear.
"I can't. I'm too tired to move." She groaned, eyes closed still.
"Okay, fine." He smiled, scooping his hands underneath her and lifting her into his arms. She gasped, eyes suddenly wide as he carried her to his old room. She said nothing, only held tightly to him as he placed her on the mattress and laid down beside her. He kissed her gently, tracing a thumb across her cheek. Pulling back, she asked,
"Did he take the leftovers I packed for him?"
  Spencer laughed, amused that she remembered Rossi's leftovers at this time.
"Yes, I believe he did. I noticed he had a third helping of your mac n' cheese, so I don't think he'd pass up the leftovers."
  She laughed softly.
"It was good. I'm surprised he liked it so much. Maybe he has a secret affinity for American cuisine."
"Or, maybe you're just a good cook." He mumbled, kissing her again.
  He loved it when she was sleepy like this. She was adorable, the way her words slurred together and the way she held tightly to him, reluctant to let go. He didn't want to let her go either. This felt right, so right. She fit into his arms like a puzzle piece, and was warm as a spring sunshine after a cruelly long winter.
"I have to brush my teeth." She groaned, not wanting to get up from where she lie with him.
"Probably a good idea. I have to brush mine as well, and I'd like to change into something more comfortable."
"Will you come back?" She asked.
"Of course I will, if you want me to."
"I do. If you don't mind."
"I don't mind. Not even a little bit." He answered, sitting up and heading to his room to change.
  When he returned, he found Nora asleep again already. She had changed into her night clothes, and presumably brushed her teeth as well. Not wishing to be away from her tonight, he took her earlier invitation and crawled into the covers beside her. It wasn't long before he was fast asleep as well.

***

  The next day Spencer woke to his phone blaring. It roused Nora as well. Checking the screen with squinted eyes over the top of her head, he sighed deeply.
"Wheels up?" She asked, and he felt her warm breath against his chest.
"Yeah. Sorry." He muttered, placing a firm kiss on her forehead and disentangling his limbs from hers.
"Don't be." She yawned, stretching her arms above her head.
"I feel bad that all of our moments are cut short."
  She rubbed her eyes and sat up on one elbow, placing a hand under his chin to bring his eyes to hers.
"Don't feel bad. If you had ignored my phone call, I wouldn't be here with the one person in this planet I care about most. Whoever is in trouble needs your big, fat brain... so that they can also return to the people that they love."
  She planted a wet kiss on his lips and sat up, stretching again with her whole body. He watched her for a moment with admiration before she stood up and went into the master bathroom, closing the door behind her. Spencer kept staring at the closed door, wondering what he had done to deserve such an amazing, sweet, beautiful and understanding woman. With incredible effort, he stood up and made his way to his own spare bedroom to get ready for their next case.
  When Nora exited the bathroom, face and teeth freshly cleaned, she found her bed empty. Sitting down heavily, she grabbed her phone from the nightstand and clicked it on.
Thank you for the wondrous evening. Your American dishes tantalized every last one of my Italian tastebuds.
  She laughed a bit as she read Dave's text from late the night before. Remembering the photos that had been taken, she opened her gallery to look at them. She smiled at the one of her and Dave. Swiping to the next, she saw a photo of her and Spencer that's she hadn't realized Dave had taken. They were both smiling at one another, her hands wrapped easily around his waist. Swiping again, the next photo was of the both of them smiling at the camera. They both clutched each other tightly, goofy, happy grins on both their faces as Lancelot sat between them with his tongue out at a silly angle. Her heart swelled as she looked at the photo. It captured them perfectly.
  Absentmindedly she swiped again, becoming still as she looked at a second photo that she was unaware had been taken. Spencer was sat with his head resting on the back of the couch, asleep. In his arms was herself, also asleep, with her back against his chest and her face angled against his neck. They looked peaceful. Nora's heart surged with gratitude as she examined the photo, appreciating the sweetness and the innocence that radiated from it. She felt a renewed gratitude for Dave, and for Spencer. Despite all the hell that she had been through, she had found her own personal heaven. It presented itself in the form of a tall, lean doctor and childhood friend who had cared for her selflessly for months, without ever asking for a thing in return.