Chapter 16

^^^ the type of music that is actually played in Meridian Hill Park at 3pm in Sundays!(:

Spencer woke the next morning feeling rested. The shadow of the previous day's events still hung over him like a dark cloud, but the smell of fresh coffee roused him. Pulling his slippers on, he opened the door and followed the sounds of gentle humming toward the kitchen. He found Nora standing there, stirring a pan full of eggs on the stove. Halting a moment, he took in the way she moved effortlessly about the room, the bright light from the window illuminating her dark hair.
"Good morning." He eventually spoke, his voice sounding more breathless than he intended.
"Hey!" She greeted, her smile piercing his heart in a way that rendered him speechless. He opened his mouth to speak, but came up short on what to say.
You are beautiful. I'm getting attached to having you here. I shouldn't be feeling this way.
The words flashed through his mind, but he knew that he couldn't say them. Instead, he closed his mouth and offered her a sleepy smile.
"You have excellent timing, I just finished breakfast." She continued, pulling plates from the cupboard that were rarely used before she arrived.
"It smells incredible." He finally uttered, taking a few steps in her direction and gesturing to Lancelot. The dog got up and approached him from where he had laid dutifully by her side.
"Thanks. I thought I'd wake up a little early and do something nice for you since I'm meeting with Emily and Penelope for coffee in a little bit."
"At ten thirty, right?" He asked, glancing at the clock as he helped her move the plates of breakfast she had cooked to the small table.
"Yes. I still have to shower and figure out what to wear."
Amused, Spencer studied her a moment while he took a bite.
"Are you nervous?" He asked.
"Uh... yes and no." She admitted honestly. "I really   like the people you work with."
"I'm glad you do. They're like family to me. You know it's okay though if you're not ready."
"I am! I'm ready." She insisted, but he had the feeling there was more.
"But...?" He prodded, and she let out a small sigh.
"But... I just... I don't know how to let people get close to me. It's been a long time. What if I say something weird and they decide they don't like me?"
  Spencer paused with his coffee mug halfway to his lips. He gave her a curious stare as he slowly set it back down. Clearing his throat and taking a deep breath, he answered,
"There is no possible way that you could say anything weirder than some of the things they've heard come out of my mouth. That is a promise. Penelope already loves you, and Prentiss is really great. She likes you too."
"Okay." She finally murmured after a pause. "Okay."
"Okay. You've got this." His eyes looked into hers with a smile as he placed another forkful into his mouth. "This is really good. Are you sure you didn't attend a cooking school of some sort?"
"No." Nora laughed. "I used to love helping my mom in the kitchen. After dad died, I took over most of the kitchen duties as a way to help her."
Unsure of what to say, he offered her a smile which she returned wholeheartedly.

***

"I have to ask you something." Emily said to Lenora as they were finishing their coffee and pastries.
"I'm an open book." Nora offered tentatively, hoping that she didn't delve too deep.
"What the hell is living with Reid like?" She asked through a mouthful of her breakfast sandwich. Nora smiled, relieved.
"It's amazing actually. I don't read as fast as Spence does. I mean come on... that's a superhuman power he possesses."
The other two women nodded in agreement, looking interested.
"We read together a lot."
They looked at her as though they expected more and she sighed.
"I cook. He cleans. We walk with Lancelot. It's a really simple way of living, honestly. I just got the call on the way here that I got a job at a family-owned bookstore I applied at. Lancelot can come with me, so Spencer approves. I start tomorrow."
"That's amazing." Penelope offered. "I'm so proud, little nugget."
  Nora let out a short laugh at her words.
"It really is." Emily added with a sincere smile. "I'm so glad you're getting back on your feet on your own terms."
"Yeah, me too. You know, Spence has done so much for me since I came here. He's changed my whole life. I thought..."
She trailed off, but Emily gave her an encouraging nod.
"I thought I would die in the room that he found me in." She admitted, and both pairs of shoulders of her companions fell heavy with compassion. She continued.
"He brought me here. He's given me this freedom that I never thought I could have before. I can go anywhere, anytime. Lancelot has my back at all times. Now I have this new job, this new chance at a future that is all mine. Yet, I can't picture my life without-"
She stopped, mortified at the bit of information she was about to give them.
"-Lancelot. He's the best dog ever." She finished weakly. What she said was true: she couldn't picture her life without her sweet, fuzzy K9 companion. He was perfect in every way and more. He was everything a dog should be. However, what she had been about to say was that she couldn't picture her life without Spencer.
"Oh." The two other women said in unison, matching quizzical expressions on their faces.
"I saw that you went to Juilliard." Penelope said, leaning foreword.
"Oh, yeah for a little while." She said, somewhat grateful for the change in subject.
"What did you do at Juilliard?" Emily asked, interested.
"I played the cello mostly. I dabbled a little, but the cello was my focus."
"Would you ever go back and finish what you started there?"
Nora thought about that a moment. Suddenly she realized that she could absolutely go back to school if she wanted. She could go after her doctorate or go back to Juilliard or find a completely new area to study.
"N-no, I don't think so. I'm just... I'm tired. I don't want to spend any more time in a classroom, at least not as a student."
"What do you want to do?" Penelope asked.
"I want to eat good food. I want to listen to and create music that makes your soul move differently. I... I want to fall in love and raise children. I want to ride rollercoasters, dance under the moonlight, get a tattoo. I just want to live a life that I will be happy with when I die."
"That's completely understandable. I mean, what you've managed to accomplish in your life already is incredible. I have no doubts that you'll keep accomplishing all your new goals in the same incredible way." Emily said, reaching out amd giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "Hey what are you doing after this? I was thinking about doing some window shopping, wanna join?"
Penelope nodded enthusiastically, but Nora declined.
"I'd love to, but I asked Spence to meet me at Meridian Hill park later this afternoon."
"Meridian Hill Park on a Sunday afternoon? You know they do that drum circle there on Sundays, right?" Penelope said. Nora nodded.
"Lancelot and I discovered it last week. I don't know if he's ever been, but I've been waiting to take him all week."
Emily and Penelope watched her eyes light up as she talked about Reid.
"Okay. Well, I'll accept that as a rain check, and the two of you fantastic nerds have a fun afternoon." Penelope smiled.