Make Purposeless Chapters

Each chapter has to have a purpose and increase the overall quality of the work. I want for this to become a rule of thumb for all authors when writing their stories because every chapter should focus on adding something (or even a couple of things) to the story like a character, an anecdote, an event, a big reveal, character development, a touch of back story, etc.

But you shouldn't overdo it. I have seen chapters within stories that are just info dumps of the writer talking in great detail about many that haven't yet come to relevancy in the story. It is very tempting just to devote an entire chapter to the world and lore of your story, after all all those ideas are just swirling in your head waiting to be introduced into the story.  However I typically strongly advise against these types of things as they usually bring down the overall quality of the story. Such things typically give away upcoming events and can confuse the reader if said thing comes up again much later in the story.

Finding a happy medium between talking about too little and talking about too much is difficult, and it takes a lot of practice and a keen mind, but it is extremely important for general story telling that it is something that cannot go unlearned.