Chapter 5

The first fifteen minutes of our trip are spent in a strange combination of obvious awkwardness and contained excitement.

When we're finally leaving the city behind, Haze has found his nonchalance again, but my thoughts are still revolving around Lucy and her recent revelation. Since this isn't really something I want to share with Haze, I'm afraid I'm not very talkative. He seems to notice my reservation and steers the conversation towards our destination.

"So, have you ever been to this corner of the country?"

I look out the window where fields and meadows trickle by in a blur of green and brown.

"I don't think I have."

"It's a bit off the map, but there are some pretty forests and a small cave that manages to attract a few tourists during the summer months."

"A cave? Like a real ancient one with withered bones and a hidden treasure?" I sit up a little straighter in my seat, pushing the seatbelt away from my neck.

"Yes, a real ancient one, but I'm not sure about the withered bones and I've never heard anything about a hidden treasure either."

"Maybe that's because no one has searched for it yet."

He taps his fingers on the stirring wheel. "Maybe you're right." There's a smile quirking around his mouth. "We could explore it if you want to. It's not usually open this early in the year, but I can make an exception for you."

I glance at Haze beside me. Every time he shifts gears, our hands almost touch and I can't stop staring at the way he flexes his fingers. His scent makes me wish I could lean closer, but I keep my nose at a respectable distance because I don't want to be creepy. He smells like sandalwood soap and fresh earth after the snowmelt.

"You can make an exception? Are you the one offering the tours?"

"The cave is on my property. I'm the owner as well as the tour guide."

"Oh wow, now that's different. I bet not many people can say they own a cave."

Haze turns the car into a side road that looks so narrow I have my doubts the Jaguar will actually fit.

"Actually it's not uncommon around here. The limestone is naturally prone to be cavernous, so you'll find quite a few of them in the area."

"Really? I didn't know that." Not that I've ever been particularly knowledgable about caves.

"They are really fascinating, allowing us a glimpse into the depths of the earth. Like a portal to the underworld if you will."

"Is that why your business is called Underworld Delicacies?"

I fumble in my purse for a mint. My stomach is still a bit queasy and I'd rather not get sick on Haze's expensive leather seats.

"Yes, it is. It's not very original, I admit, but I like it. And I assure you that while my cave might not be the biggest, it's definitely the most spectacular of them all."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

He gives me a wide grin and I can't help but smile in response.

I pop in my earbuds and lean back in the seat, soaking in the landscape that flies by like a tapestry of gently rolling hills with patches of trees stitched between them. The occasional white dots turn out to be scattered groups of sheep, munching away on the first grass of spring.

 The occasional white dots turn out to be scattered groups of sheep, munching away on the first grass of spring

"We're almost there." Haze points ahead at where the road is swallowed up by a looming mass of dark green trees.

I must've nodded off because my head is slumped against the window and to my embarrassment I realise that I've been drooling in my sleep. Great, maybe Ólafur Arnalds wasn't such a good music choice. I should have gone for something less soothing. No need to make a perfect fool out of myself so early on.

Craning my neck while I use my sleeve to wipe my chin as inconspicuous as possible, I scan my surroundings. I don't see any indication of a human settlement, only some dilapidated old barns that look like they have been abandoned for ages.

"So, are we going to be all alone?" Suddenly the prospect of being shut away from all civilisation haunts me again. While I don't feel threatened by Haze right now, I don't know how far I can allow to trust my instincts about him.

"There isn't much around the estate except the grounds with orchards and glasshouses, but we won't be alone. The groundkeeper lives also there with his daughter to look after things while I'm away."

I turn my head towards him. "Did you say orchards and glasshouses?"

"Yes, I did. I like growing my own fruits. There are apple and cherry trees and thanks to the glasshouses even oranges and pomegranates can thrive in this rather cold climate." He flicks his gaze to me and I can see a sparkle in his eyes. "I told you you'd like it."

I nod and push my unfounded fears to the back of my head. "I think I will."

We cut through the forest that unexpectedly opens up to make way for an entrance marked by an iron gate and tall gateposts overgrown by ivy. The gate seems to open magically but it's probably some remote control placed somewhere in Haze's car. I'm by no means an expert in luxury cars, let alone Jaguars, but I reckon his has a few extra perks and buttons based on all the fancy equipment on the dashboard.

We turn into a tree-lined road, perfectly trimmed grass and flowerbeds filling up the space on either side. It's only early spring now, so there are some empty patches, but I can tell this will be a lush paradise in summer. The manor itself lies nestled between majestic plane trees that must be as old as the house itself, which is smaller than what I had thought. It's actually more of a cottage than a manor and its rugged grey stones with climbing trellis make it look like something right out of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. It's really cute. No, actually quaint is the word I'm looking for.

There's a brass plaque above the entrance and when Haze pulls up and parks in front of the house, I read aloud what it says.

"Starlit Hollow? Well, that surely sounds intriguing."

"It's named after the cave I told you about, but it does have a nice ring to it. When I bought the property, I decided to keep it." He unties himself and gets out of the car.

I fiddle with my own seatbelt and by the time I realise I just have to press a button, Haze has pulled open my door for me.

I grab my purse and step out of the car on wobbly feet. Because of my sitting position, my right leg has fallen asleep during the trip and feels now like it has ants crawling all over it. I take a deep breath of the amazingly fresh and clean air while I stretch my body and get the blood circulating again.

In the meantime Haze unpacks our stuff from the trunk. "So, what's your first impression? Do you like it?"

I pull out some strands of my hair that have gotten trapped under my hoodie and sling my purse around my shoulder. When I meet his gaze it sends a jolt straight to my middle. I know that if I'm not careful, I might end up with more than what I've bargained for. But I can't allow him to see how much he's affecting me already, so I put on what I hope is an innocuous smile and say, "Yes, I do like it."

"