Chapter 3

"You don't like weddings, do you?" he says while he takes my outstretched hand. His grip is both determined and gentle.

"What gives you that impression?" I shake his hand a little longer than necessary.

"You are not the only one observing people from your little hideout." He raises a suggestive eyebrow.

"You've been spying on me?"

"Not spying, just observing. There's a subtle difference."

"Right." I nod in agreement. I can't blame him for looking, can I? And it's not like I'm trying very hard to hide my distaste for weddings.

"And what about you? Do you like weddings?"

"Yes and no."

"You really like being vague, don't you?" I pull back my hand and pick up my margarita.

"It's a business habit." Haze straightens his cuffs.

"So, what's your business?" I feel emboldened by the glass in my hand.

"I'm the owner of Underworld Delicacies." He makes a small gesture with his hand towards the buffet tables beside me.

"Oh, you're the caterer," I blurt out and scold myself for being so blunt when I see a hint of indignation flash across his face. "Sorry, I didn't mean... I mean..."

"No, that's quite all right. I am the caterer and I pride myself in being the best you can find."

"Not very modest, are you?" I suddenly feel more daring than what I really am.

Haze cocks an eyebrow. "It's simple. I like to make people happy, and I'm good at what I do."

I cannot deny that he's right. Every single piece I've tried tonight has been delicious.

"Is that your company's motto, making people happy with food?" I draw an imaginary sign in the air with my fingers.

"No, it isn't, but now that you mention it, I probably should keep it in mind for a future PR campaign. Are you sure you don't want to work for me?" The mischievous glint in his eyes makes me smile.

I take the last sip of my margarita. "No, thanks. I have a job already and if I ever do something different, it would be opening my own flower shop. But that's just a dream for now, not anything that's going to happen in the near future." I play with the empty glass in my hands, watching as the light bounces off in tiny sparkles. It's probably for the best to accept that this isn't ever going to happen.

"You just need some start-up capital and the necessary determination to go through with it."

I sigh and place the glass on the table beside me. "You make it sound so easy. I don't have the money and in terms of the determination, I'll probably get discouraged the moment things get tough. Establishing a business isn't as easy as you make it look."

He taps his fingers on his knees to the beat of the music, some obscure funky song I'm sure my mother must have bribed the band to play.

"It's not easy, but it's not impossible either. I'm sure your mother would be willing to help you out."

I snort and wave my hand dismissively. "I'm sure as hell not asking Mum for money. I've never done that, and I'm not going to start now. I rather keep working in that flower shop until I'm old and shrivelled like a dried prune."

Haze is holding back a grin and when I break into a giggle, he releases it and the deep rumbling laughter that follows sounds like the most melodious song to my ears.