Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Nearly a month passed without incident as the Fellowship continued their long walk South. As the weather had taken an unseasonably mild turn, everyone seemed to be in high spirits; their bodies were used to the routine of walking now, and it was growing easier to set their feet back to their path each morning.

It was one late afternoon they decided to make camp early, seeing that the hills they traversed were more exposed ahead of them, it made sense to take shelter where they could find it. Théadain was glad to take an extra few hours off her feet, and she could admit her heart was growing lighter as they inched ever closer to the Gap of Rohan. Within weeks they would reach her lands, and though she was under no illusion that she would find everything well in her home, it would be a relief to see her family again.

'It would also be a relief to speak to another woman again.' She thought with a roll of her eyes as she picked up a pebble and threw it at Boromir's back as he moved to relieve himself a few metres away; "I can see you Boromir- find somewhere else to piss." She called as the stone bounced off his shoulder.

"You shouldn't be looking!" He retorted as he went to find a spot out of sight as she laughed and lay back on the pale shelf of rock she had been sitting on.

"If I can train over a hundred men to not expose themselves to me then I can train you." She grinned, stretching like a cat in the sun as Legolas moved to sit beside her with a chuckle.

"I doubt you share such close quarters with the men in your company though." The elf commented as she threw her arm over her face to shield it from the sun.

"Oh I do, we don't stand on ceremony." She hummed, propping herself up on her elbow to talk to him better, "On summer patrols we'll sleep in the open air, side by side – it's rare that I would have my own tent. I do however insist on basic manners." She smiled playfully as Boromir came back in to view, casting her a playful glare as he went to sit with Merry and Pippin. Behind her the scent of frying sausages reached her nostrils where Sam was preparing their meal, mingled with the smell of burning leaf from Aragorn and Gandalf's pipes.

"It's a wonder your father allows you to venture out with so many men." Gimli commented, "With you being unwed, lass."

"Are you afraid for my honour, Master Dwarf?" She smiled playfully, "The men in my company are like my family, if I do not see them as a brother I see them as a father figure – my own father knows I am safe, and I know well enough that my honour has nothing to do with whose bed my boots are under." She smirked a little at the choked sound the dwarf made in response to her comment. "My father might, however, have something to say about me gallivanting around the wilderness with nine handsome unmarried men." She grinned, leaning into Legolas' shoulder as the elf laughed.

"Perhaps he should be worried for the men." Legolas chuckled, nudging her playfully.

"Your honour is quite safe, my elvish prince." She smirked, bumping him back, "I like my men a little more rough around the edges."