05. The King's Capital

Start from the beginning

Jeongguk nods, rolling up the scroll and dropping a drawstring bag of coins on Yugyeom's table. "It's now or never. I won't be long though, it'll just take a day. How's a little sightseeing going to hurt me?"

Yugyeom seems to be contemplating on something, lips tugged between his teeth as he leans back against his chair. He turns to Jeongguk, frowning. "It's quite scary to go on your own though."

Jeongguk knows. He knows that as soon as he steps out of Moonrock it'll be like he's walking straight into a den of wolves. But he's ready to take the risk. In the span of a day, he's already gotten himself a map and a donkey to save himself more time.

"I'll be alright. I promise, I'll be back tomorrow morning. I still have to pay back the remainder of what I owe you and bring you some gifts from the Capital."

"Damn right you should," Yugyeom replies. He stands up to give Jeongguk a pat on the shoulder. "I know your father's going to be worried as hell so you better come back in one piece. He's a doctor, but that doesn't mean he can sew your head back in place."

Jeongguk makes a face at that but smiles anyway. "Thanks, man. What would I do without you."

"Nothing, really," Yugyeom laughs. "Did you already leave that letter I helped you write for your father?"

Jeongguk nods.

"That's a nice ring though." He gestures towards Jeongguk's hand, a black pearl sitting on one of his fingers.

"It's not mine. I'm just hoping to return it, so." Jeongguk waves the scroll near his face. "I'll be taking this with me."

"Alright, alright. You got everything with you?"

Jeongguk nods, already reaching the door. "I'm all ready. Thanks again, Yugyeom."

"You take care, pal. Oh, and one more thing!" Jeongguk turns around, only to see something being thrown at him—he catches it swiftly with one hand, and realises that it's his small drawstring bag, as heavy as when he'd first put it down.

"Pay me back later. You're going to need it for now. Don't run into trouble."

Jeongguk smiles, giving his friend a salute. "Not if I can't help it."

By the time you find this, I'll already be halfway to the Capital. I know you must be disappointed in me right now. I'll do whatever you ask when I get back in the morning. I'll be home before you know it. I promise.

— your son, Jeon Jeongguk.

"How is he?"

"He's denied himself proper sleep for the past few days so his body is worn out. He'll get better after some rest."

Saeron tries to avert her gaze from the royal chamberlain's face to the bed where her father lies, as pale and as still as a corpse, yet miraculously still breathing. She looks away as soon as she takes in the sight of it all, taking in a deep breath.

It hurts too much to watch. And to know that she's the cause of it—

"It's not your fault, Saeron," Jimin tells her in a softer voice this time. "You didn't choose to come home so late."

"Please." She hates that she sounds so desperate and weak. But it's a side of her that she trusts with the man, who after years of growing up together has become more than just a royal chamberlain. "Do everything you can to help him. Please. Get the physicians to fix him a drought to ease the pain, just... anything."

Jimin nods, equally troubled. "We'll do everything we can, as we always have."

"Yes, of course. Thank you. You've already gone out of your way to retrieve supplies in Moonrock. You've done too much for us already."