Chapter Three: Living Legends

They walked together into the wilderness, and Relma kept a hand near Lightning Trail. The trees above them were thin and beautiful. They were white-barked with low-hanging branches. The sort she'd climbed with Ronald in the old days. But soon, they entered the darker parts of the forest. The trees became thicker, and the light came through the leaves less. As they did, Anoa looked more and more on edge. It was as if something was hurting him, but he was trying to hide it. Relma wondered what it was. Some inner conflict or spiritual attack?

She supposed that Anoa would be subjected to those now and then. On the other hand, Relma doubted all he did was sit around and wait for the descendant. He probably had essential responsibilities from Elranor. But it did not seem right to ask him about them now.

But what was the conflict? The sword? It was his sword. He was the first to wield it."Come quickly," said Anoa. "We have little time to waste. We don't want anyone to get suspicious, do we?"

Relma decided enough was enough. "...Anoa, can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" asked Anoa.

"Something is different about you," said Relma. "It's not just your appearance."

Anoa sighed, and his appearance shifted, looking more human. It was challenging to describe exactly what had changed. It was something about how he carried himself. "That is to be expected. When we first met, my mind was somewhat divided."

"Divided?" asked Relma.

"As an ascended being, I exist outside this material plane," said Anoa. "During our first encounter, I underwent an assault on my spirit. It left my mind somewhat... changed. "Since then, I have pulled myself together."

"Who launched the attack?" asked Relma curiously.

Anoa remained silent for a long moment. As if considering his answer. But why would he feel the need to consider it? Was he reluctant to tell her? Or was he tailoring the story like she had when getting caught doing something naughty as a child? "...I really shouldn't be telling you this. But I suppose there is no harm in warning you. The machinations of Duke Vanion Gabriel run very deep. It was through one of his agents that I was brought to harm."

Duke Vanion Gabriel. That was a name Relma had heard a lot lately, even this far south. He was growing in power. Aren and Aunt Pan disliked him. But to attack Anoa the Bright? "What? But how could he-"

"Vanion does not regard anything as sacred," said Anoa, looking somewhat cornered. "To him, the gods are but kings to be toppled. I'm afraid that if he is not stopped, he may eventually come to rule over Antion. And from there, he may seek to bind the other Harlenorian Kingdoms to his will.

"He would create Harlenor Reunited in his own image. Ignoring the intent of the prophecy." Why did Anoa fear Vanion Gabriel? Surely Vanion was only one of many nobles and an outsider. How could such a person take control of Antion in one lifetime? Maybe he is marrying into it, but that would be his son. Vanion was already married to an Amazon; Aunt Pan had told her that much. That was not an arrangement you could break.

Was he really that dangerous?

Relma nodded. "Well, I'll stop him if it comes to that." He wasn't telling her something, but she didn't want him to know she knew.

Anoa smiled and ruffled her hair. It felt good, and Relma wondered if her Father or Mother would have done this had they lived. "You may look at that. That is why I want you to fight in this tournament. I believe the best way to stop Vanion is to speed up Elranor's schedule. If the Heir of Kings comes into her own early, then Vanion won't be able to become King of Antion."

"Does Elranor agree?" asked Relma suddenly.

Anoa flinched. His eyes darted to the sword, then away. "As you can no doubt attest, Elranor is nothing if not respectful of the will of the individual. He allows his agents to serve him in whatever way they deem best. He likes to provide only occasional oversight from the sidelines.