"She wanted to dart after the dragonflies... Watch the frogs hop on lily pads... And chase the glistening fish..."

The further I read, the slower my voice becomes and I can't help but furrow my brows in suspicion as I read on.

"'Oh no', said the little duckling. She has lost her mother. What will she do now?"

The pieces slowly begin to fit together in my mind. I blink away from the story and grab Gumball's coloring book, evaluating the lake he drew that looks like the one from the story...

Is he trying to tell me something?

"Kid, is this all some clue as to where your mom is?"

He continues to chomps his sandwich without response, making me lean closer.

"Did you lose your mom by a lake? Is that it? Was it in a park?"

Gumball gulps down his final bite of the sandwich before wrapping his tiny hand around my finger and pulling me as he suddenly runs towards the door and hops eagerly.

He wants to leave the apartment. He wants to take me somewhere.

But wouldn't it be stupid to blindly follow a kid who doesn't say a word?

...Then again, this could be it. Maybe he'll finally lead me to where he lost his mom.

I instantly grab a leather jacket, bucket hat, and mask before we hurry out.

∘₊✧ ° 🌈 ° ✧₊∘
CUTE LIL MONTAGE
( PLAY AUDIO )

Following his hops from a slow distance behind, my head cranes back to admire the sunny, yet cloudy sky that's satchelled by a rainbow. This is the most I've been out during spring... I had no idea the sky could be this colorful.

Gumball runs towards a zebra crossing without pressing the stoplight and I immediately run to pull him back by the arm. "Don't you learn your lesson?! Press the button first before you hurt yourself!"

Of course, he just stares back. I sigh and press the button that he's too short to reach as the two of us wait by the stoplight, reminiscent to the first time we met. Once the green man shows, my hand catches his wrist to pull him across the street. His little legs skip to keep up.

*Ding ding ding!*

The ambiance turns to golden hour from the sunrays invading the window of the bus Gumball randomly ran towards. I grip onto the ceiling latch as our bodies jerk lightly with every hump, and eyes discretely train on us but I easily ignore them.

But when the bus hits a harsher speed bump, Gumball nearly falls forward completely until I quickly grab the back of his collar and pull him towards my body.

A series of dings chime once we get off, but that doesn't slow Gumball down. He runs towards a subway train station and I huff with slacked shoulders before jogging behind him.

Before he can just run through the gate, I catch his wrist and point to the ticket booth, indicating what we need to get through. Gumball's tiny fingers and nose latch over the booth counter while I hand the man some cash in exchange for two train tickets.