Chapter 7

So if you apply this formula here, you are one step away from solving the whole equation." Izuku pointed to a formula on the page that he had marked with a box around it. His pencil tapped lightly against the paper while he waited for his companion to finish writing it down.

"Ooooh! I see now!" Uraraka's eyes lit up with understanding. They had been working on their math homework for nearly an hour and they were finally getting close to finishing. Tomorrow, they were going to review English, which was one of Ochaco's weaker subjects and the part she dreaded the most. After finishing up their homework for the day, Ochaco sank back on the chair and exhaled loudly.

Working with Deku had been rewarding to say at least. He was patient, spoke kindly and practically glowed when she solved problems correctly. His encouraging smiles had also been an added bonus, and Ochaco found that she didn't mind one bit when his smiles were directed towards her.

"I'm surprised we finished so quickly." Midoriya said as he closed his notebooks and put them back in his bag. They were sitting at one of the tables in the common room and it was getting close to dinnertime, so it felt great to be done ahead of time. They hadn't been the only ones who were studying on the first floor and their classmates were steadily showing up.

Iida had offered to help them study, but he was on cooking duty that day so they had decided to study with him the following day instead. Todoroki had also joined them for a while, but he finished early and returned to his room, wanting to take a nap before dinner. Ochaco found that she didn't mind Todoroki studying with them, he was good at challenging Midoriya and the two often ended up in deep discussion.

Another thing she had noticed was how relaxed Deku was around the hybrid quirk user, and she was glad their friendship had grown as much as it had. She was aware that Midoriya didn't have many friends, but he seemed to be content with her and Todoroki. Of course there were also Iida and Tsuyu-chan as well as Kirishima, Kaminari and, grudgingly she admitted, Bakugo. She just couldn't wrap her head around why such a sweet and kind person didn't have hordes of people swarming him. At some point, she decided, she was going to ask him, but right now, Ochaco just wanted to go back to her room and relax.

"It feels like we've been sitting here forever!" She exclaimed which earned a chuckle from her dorky friend. He had been so pleasant to study with and the brunette wondered why she hadn't asked him ages ago. They were slowly getting ready to head back upstairs, when Izuku called for her to see something on his phone. Ochaco found herself staring at Izuku's mother and a tiny kitten asleep in her arms.

"I can't believe your mom got a kitty! It's so cute!" Ochaco squealed with delight when Deku showed her the most recent picture his mom had sent him. Inko had been lonely without her baby boy around, so she had finally decided to get a pet, something she had wanted when she was younger.

"Her name is Coco." Izuku knew his mom had always wanted to own a cat, and he was glad she finally made the decision to get one. Coco was a right sweeatheart and had not stopped purring once when she was finally introduced to Izuku the previous weekend. Izuku had adored her.

"Can I meet her? I love cats!" Uraraka beamed up at him and made his knees weak. She was standing so close to him that Izuku thought he was going to pass out. He could move his hand a little and it would be close enough to grab hers, but he kept it firmly planted on his side.

"I, uh, will ask my mom-but-I-am-sure-it's-fine!" The poor boy couldn't keep the pitch in his voice out and blurted out his sentence. She was about to say something, when a loud noise startled her. Izuku saw her eyes widen in fear and her body freeze, before she shrieked. He reacted instantly and grabbed her shoulders, pulling her against him and steadying her. Her shoulders were shaking slightly and she kept her eyes down. He felt her suck in a breath as he called her name. She looked up at him with terrified eyes and his stomach sank. She had been doing so well with her stress and the side-effects from the villain attacks and it broke his heart to see her that scared.