09 | n o s e l e s s

"{Y} ou." I said, strangely calmer than I expected. "Why, for fuck's sake, do you have a nose?"

Voldemort-no, Tom looked taken aback by this question.

"Harry, we have to get the hell out of here." I said, yanking him up by his collar. We literally went underground, through a sink in an abandoned girls bathroom, into the Chamber of Secrets.

It was called that for a reason; Weasley was probably going to die down here, and if that happened, our bodies would never be found. Call me cynical, but hey, I was being realistic.

"Just you wait, you pasty eyebrowless-oompa-loompa-looking-motherfu—"

"Lexi!" Harry shouted, pointing behind me.

"I'm on a roll here, Harry," I grumbled, before turning around and almost dropping dead out of shock.

"Basilisk." Harry said quietly.

"Parseltongue won't save you now! It only obeys me." Tom called out sinisterly, only to be met with me flipping him off.

The 80 foot giant with menacing teeth and sharp slitted eyes was too fast

"RUN!" I yelled, going as fast as my legs could take me. I tackled my brain for spells that I could use against the snake, and out of pure desperation, tried doing the wingardium leviosa. You could probably guess how that worked out.

My knees were shaking too much from the fear and shock, and every step I took was more like a bounce than a run. Harry tripped behind me, and I abruptly stopped, looking up at the snake in terror.

It was then that Fawkes proved that birds were not at all useless, and flew in majestically, with the grace of a literal angel.

While it blinded the basilisk, Harry was still on his stomach, just watching the scene unfold.

"Come on, you nitwit!" I hissed and pulled him up.

Harry and I scampered into the tunnels, and the creature followed our footsteps. I turned a corner, separating from Harry, who continued on straight.

What was he thinking?

It wasn't like I could say anything either, or the beast would hear. Instead, I approached Riddle, "Call it off." I ordered coldly.

"It only answers to the Slytherin Heir," he boasted, "And your brother is about to be its first true meal."

One look at Ginny confirmed that she was just on the brink of... well you know. Helplessness crashed into my stomach, paralyzing me for a moment.

Shit, Potter. Go cry later. You need to help your brother.

Pushing away the fear, I started to climb the statue of the bearded man. "Hey, you overgrown, slimy snake!" I screamed as loudly as I could, "Come and get me!"

Slytherin Heir, my ass.

"Let me show you how a real Slytherin does it, you noseless prat!" I smirked to Riddle, hoping he couldn't see the scared little girl behind the act.

The basilisk emerged from the tunnel, its head whipping towards me.

"Come on Salazar. Prove that you aren't absolute worthless scum." I whispered, looking up.

"Ssssaaaaassaaii hiinesssss" I ordered, noticing Harry coming out of the tunnels and heading straight for the sorting hat, which glinted with a shine from a metal of sorts.

"I said, stop!" I told the beast again, ignoring Voldemort's laughter. "The true Slytherin Heir faces you. I order you to stop!"

The beast showed the slightest of hesitation, but continued to advance. Harry was armed with a sword, and began to climb the statue from the side.

"Are you a traitor to your kind, Snake?" I asked, "I will not repeat myself. Halt."

The snake showed true hesitation this time, and from the corner of my eye, I saw that Harry was almost to the top.

The beast bared its fangs, hissing in both confusion and frustration.

"You must have been lonely all these years down here alone." In its eyes, beyond its anger and contempt, I saw intelligence. I saw a fear of solitude, and the search for companionship. I saw the grief of losing Salazar, and the willingness to follow Riddle.

"Now, Harry." I whispered, looking away as Harry drove the sword clear through its open mouth. I heard the shriek of pain and betrayal as the basilisk fell, and I almost pitied it. Almost.

Harry's arm fell to his side, and my eyes immediately went to the fang puncturing it.

"Oh, Merlin." I breathed, rushing to his side. "Are you alright?"

He nodded grimly, and we climbed down from the statue, back to Ginny's side. The girl was so drained of blood that she looked as white as parchment paper.

"Basilisk poison is lethal," Riddle snarked, turning to me. "Your brother here will be with your mudblood mother soon."

"Yeah?" Harry asked, "Well, good thing there's plenty to go around!"

He raised the fang over his head and slammed it to the diary with a vengeance, stabbing it over and over again. Black ink sprayed out of the hole, and in the back of my mind, I wondered what it was.

Riddle rushed to intervene, but his body was punctured with light, and as fast as it happened, he disappeared.

Ginny's eyes flew open, and her chest began to heave.

My knees buckled, and I collapsed, resting my head on Harry. "Thank Merlin." I whispered under my breath, until I realized Harry's short breaths and the thick crimson blood oozing from his arm.

The poison.

Fawkes, like the glorious god-sent gift he was, flew down and dropped a tear on Harry's wound, making it miraculously disappear.

The adrenaline started to die down, and exhaustion filled me to the depths of my bones. My eyelids were getting heavier by the second. Taking a nap on the moist floor of a secret dungeon with a dead eighty foot snake might not sound like a luxury, but for the time being, it sounded like heaven.

"Is she—?" I barely heard Ginny's voice asking.

"Potter!" someone called out, their voice overfilling with worry. It was the last thing I heard before I knocked out.