Chapter Thirty-Eight

It had been about a week since JJ's wedding. I sat in my living room, anxiously awaiting the arrival of Spencer Reid. 

He was supposed to come and give me a book that he wanted me to read. It was a thing we did on a pretty regular basis; I found a book of mine for him to read, and he brought me one of his. 

After a few minutes, there was a knock on the door. I made myself wait five seconds before opening it; I didn't want to seem eager. That was weird; I'd never worried about that before. 

"Hi, Spence!" I smiled. 

"Hey," Spencer said as he walked in. He set his book bag on the couch. 

"Do you want some coffee?" I asked, making my way to the kitchen. "I was just about to make a pot." 

"Yeah, sure," he said. I got to work making the coffee.

I grabbed two mugs out of the cupboard, but overestimated the capabilities of my small-ish hands to carry two large mugs, and one of them fell to the floor and shattered. I yelled. 

Spencer ran over. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Did it get you?" 

I looked down at my legs. "I think I'm fine." 

I set the still intact mug on the counter and crouched down to begin cleaning up the mess. Spencer did, too. 

After a few minutes of picking up ceramic pieces, we both happened to look up at the same time. 

Suddenly, I was staring into his brown eyes. It occurred to me how close our faces were. It didn't bother me, nor did it seem to bother him. 

I saw his eyes flicker down to my lips. 

Then, I cleared my throat and stood up, pressing my foot down on the trash can lever. I dumped the ceramic pieces in the trash. Spencer did the same. 

I took another mug out of the cupboard and poured some coffee into each cup for the two of us. We sat down at my couch. 

Reid pulled a book out of his bag. It was The Castle of Ontranto. "Have you ever read it?" he asked. 

"No, I haven't," I said, taking it and running my fingers along the spine. I picked up my book from the coffee table. It was called Cecilia, by Francis Burney. 

He looked at it. "This looks interesting." 

I smiled. "So does yours." 

He stood up. "Well, I have some errands and stuff I need to run, but it was really good to see you." 

"Yeah, you too." 

He opened my door and waved at me. "Bye, Laney." 

"Bye." 

I watched him go. 

Sorry for another short chapter. I'll probably be able to update next weekend.