Chapter Four

After 2 years.....

Lukas Sebastian Alejandro was born on December 13th. He was the apple of the eye of Cali and also, he was her anchor.

"You can go now, Cali.  I'll take care of Lukas." Aya, her babysitter, said to her. She needs to leave or else she will be late to her meeting with the Vice President for operations.

"Okay. Call me......"

"Call me if there's emergency.  I don't care if I'm in a meeting, call me.  Take care my baby, Lukas." Aya recited her dialogue everytime she left for work. "Noted, Cali. I've memorized it since you've been saying this to me for two years now."

Cali kissed Lukas' forehead.

"I love you, Lukas." Lukas replied by giggling and slapped of his little hands on her face.

When she got on her car, she heard Lukas wailing and crying.  She wanted to go back but she needs to leave now.  It never gets old.  Everytime she goes for work, she has hard time to leave her baby but she was grateful that she have Aya to look for Luke.

After 30 minutes, she arrived on Golden Tower, a 30-floor building owned by her company.  She was working on a food company for two years now. 

She walked into her office and she bumped into her secretary, Sofia.

"Good morning, Cali. Yyou have to go to the meeting room now. Mr. Allen is waiting now."

"Okay. Okay, I will.  I will just leave my things and get my notes.''

She walked into the meeting room and greeted everyone.  All the project managers are present with the Vice President.

"Okay, everyone. Settle down. You know that the CFO position is vacant for awhile now and we'll now introduce you to our new CFO."

Everyone hushed in the room while waiting for the new CFO.  They anticipated it because they know they are going to report to this new CFO as a project managers.

Their CEO walked in with a big smile. Everyone greeted Mr. Garcia

"So, I'll go straight to the point why we're here today.  I will introduce you our new CFO.  He was financial controller in one of the biggest electric and gas company in Pennsylvania. And now, we're very lucky that he accepted to be our CFO.  Introducing to you. Mr.  Luke Simon Alejandro."

She was frozen when she heard the name.

Luke strode in with a big smile until his eyes found her. His expressions become cold and distant.

"Hi, everyone.  Nice to meet you all.  Looking forward to working with you.  Can you please introduce yourselves so we can get acquainted."

She couldn't hear Luke's saying as worries bombarded her mind.

Cali brought by reality when someone elbow her. Her eyes snapped back to Luke.

Cali exhaled.

"I'm Calixta Alison Javier, 'Cali' for short.  I am one of project manager for Bonita food line."

"Nice to meet you, Cali.". Luke said without emotions.

After all the project managers introduce themselves, the meeting was dismissed.  Cali was left behind as she wanted to talk to Luke about their working together and Lukas.  Maybe it's the time to let him know about their son.

"Luke..." Luke looked back.

"Yes, Miss Javier.  Do you need anything?''

"Uhmm. About.."

"If you're worrying about what happened almost 3 years ago, no need to worry, I can be professional. It's all water under the bridge. Now, you're nothing but my subordinate and nothing more.  You're just a biggest mistake I've made and I'm glad the wedding did not happen." Luke left her speechless.

There's a small pain in her heart.

'I am not just your subordinate.  I am the mother of your child.'

Cali wanted to tell Luke but she got scared then she saw his wedding ring.  It's better to stay this way, she thought.

Once she got home, she went directly to Lukas' room and found her son soundly sleeping.

"I saw your daddy, baby." Cali didn't notice the tears are flowing down her face. "He's now married, baby.  I couldn't tell him about you.  I couldn't.....I hope you'll forgive your mommy for not telling your daddy about you."

Cali hugged his baby boy.

"I am sorry, Lukas."

......
......
......
......
......

Cali found out this morning that she will be going to their branch in Cebu for 6 months for the expansion and new product development.  She can't do it.  She can't leave Lukas. Yes, she trusted Aya but she can't go on a day without seeing her precious baby boy.

Luke's secretary let her in.

"You only have 5 minutes, Miss Javier."

"Thanks, Miss Salin."

Cali burst in the door with her yellow dress clinging into her body.  She was unconscious of her body after she gave birth to Lukas.  There are stretch marks and fat in her body that did not leave.

"You wanted to talk to me, Miss Javier."

"I can't go with the team to Cebu, Mr. Alejandro."

"Miss Javier, you understand this is work. Give me a valid reason why."

"I have a son." Cali blurted out and her heart beats fastly.  'God! Cali, you're an idiot!'

Luke was surprised but recovered easily.

"So? You're not the only one who has a child, a family here, Miss Javier.  You can let your husband look after the baby or get a babysitter."

"Are you a single mother? Or your baby is sick?"

Cali unconsciously whispered 'No'

But Luke heard it.

"Then you cannot refuse it unless you want to submit your resignation letter, Miss Javier."

Cali didn't say anything.

"Besides, the project manager head decided the list of project manager names to be assigned in Cebu. 'Coz if it's for me, I wouldn't want to spend any of time with you. If that's all, you can leave." Luke continued and dismissed her.

Cali left Luke's room defeated.  She couldn't give anymore details to Luke because tbe more she indulged more information, Luke is nearing to finding about their son.  She can't let it happen. 

'He's already married for christ's sake! I will not ruin his happiness, his marriage.  Our past will stay in the past.'