Chapter Twenty+Two

Start from the beginning

China smiled back at him from the rearview mirror then looked at the other. 'Eniiyi?'

'Yes. Yes, ma,' she said, sitting straighter in her seat. For someone who was going to a new school for the first time she didn't look a hundred percent happy. Maybe it was because, unlike her cousin, she didn't really like the school uniform. No, not the colour — she did think the colour was cool— but she just wasn't used to wearing skirt to school. The school uniform comprised of a checkered cream and wine skirt that was too short for her liking, a cream short sleeve shirt under a wine school blazer.

Or her mood could have been because her hair had been curled. She preferred to have it braided — she had always braided it — but Mrs Okenwa had been of the opinion that it'd look awesome if she let it flow freely and had then curled it, so that the girl had a thick mass brushing against her back and she was sure she'd die of suffocation if she didn't pack it up as soon as she reached that school.

'Alright. We are set to go then.' She started the car and pulled out of the drive unto the main estate road.

'What's the new school like?' Eniiyi wondered aloud.

'Well . . . I'm not sure. I've only been there once myself, all registration was done online. But I heard that it's a really good school. So you're going to love it.'

'Is it a private school?' she asked.

'Nope. It's mostly a federal school.' China chuckled. 'Most schools around here are missionary schools, and that was one of the few that weren't. Many of my colleagues have their children there.'

'Oh,' she said and finally sat back in her seat.

'How far is it? Don't they have a school bus?' Lastborn asked.

'It isn't that far. About eighteen minutes by private car, I guess. I think they have school buses, but I didn't make arrangements for any. That reminds me, I probably should, so they'd bring you to the campus everyday.'

'Don't they have a nursery school or something? So Baby Kanayo can come?' Eniiyi said, staring at the baby in his car seat between her and Lastborn.

'Baby Kanayo isn't old enough for nursery school yet. But I might enroll him in kindergarten, I don't know. I'd have to ask Somto if he wants to.'

'Um, when is he coming back again?' Lastborn asked.

'She said today,' Eniiyi said. 'How did you forget that so quickly?'

'I know it's today.' He rolled his eyes. 'I was asking for the time.'

China made a U-turn to the next express way. 'It hasn't reached argument na,' she said gently.

'I'm going to come pick you guys up from school then we'd head to the motorpark. He's taking a domestic plane from Lagos then a commercial bus to the motorpark.'

'Ugh, I don't ever want to see a motor park again.' Eniiyi shuddered.

'Why?' China asked, laughing.

'We got lost at the motorpark that day. We took the wrong bus,' explained Lastborn.

'Oh. But it isn't that bad. And you don't have to leave the car sef.'

'Okay, ma.' Lastborn glanced at Eniiyi and gave her a reassuring smile which she tried to return.

The car lapsed into silence till they reached the school. Mrs Okenwa pulled into the school compound  and then turned to face the children.

'Okay, here goes nothing. Eniiyi, don't be nervous. I can see that you are,' she said when Eniiyi glanced up at her in surprise. 'It's going to be a wonderful experience for you guys, I'm sure of that.'