Chapter Two

04:58 am, August 30.

'I can't believe you haven't packed anything, you this child, ìwo omo yì,' Eniiyi's mother chided, giving her subject of accusal a once over.

The girl was still in her dressing gown over pajamas.

'The grass will grow under our feet before we leave the house if you continue like this,' she further added, pulling open the door to the girl's walk-in closet.

'Or the tiles, in this context. And I don't care,' Eniiyi said.

Eartha turned to glare at the nine-year-old. 'Next thing, you'll go and carry cane to beat me.'

'No, o!' Eniiyi quickly corrected herself. 'I was just trying to . . .'

'To what?'

Eniiyi shrugged. 'I was funnin' with you.'

'Who's funnin' with whom?' Daddy appeared in the doorway. A bath towel was draped round his waist and he had a red toothbrush in one hand and his phone glued to his ear with the other.

Mom raised an eyebrow and went into the closet.

'I've been calling Mother's phone for a while now and it's not going through,' he said.

'Tell your daughter to get set quickly and stop messing with my plans or she's going to be left behind.' Mommy's voice floated out of the closet.

Her dad looked at her properly and sighed, lowering the hand holding the phone. 'Baby girl, go and take your bath now,' he cajoled. 'Your Mom's also got stuff to prepare for the journey.' He yawned and looked towards the closet. 'Dandelion Fluff, what are you doing?' he shouted.

'Helping her pack.' Came the voice from inside the closet.

Daddy shrugged and looked at Eniiyi again. 'So?'

'Okay, I'm going,' said the girl, resignedly. It was no use trying to delay them, if the end of the world came today, her parents would still go to Japan.

She started to go but was stopped by her mother coming into view. Her arms were laden with clothes which she dumped on the bed, to be later folded into bags.

'And have you greeted Daddy this morning?'

'Good morning, sir,' she said and made a curtsey.

'Morning, Adekunbi,' Daddy said, smiling. 'Now I must go take my bath and you should yours, too.'

'Yes, whatever,' Eniiyi said.

Eartha shook her head. 'If only she listens to me like that, my life would be much easier.'

'It's father-daughter bond, Raspberry Ripple,' her husband said endearingly and left the room.

Eniiyi blocked out their voices and made for the bathroom.

05:19 am.

They had just finished eating and Mommy was dragging her travel bag down the last few steps of the porch to the car they were taking. Eniiyi was standing beside the open boot.

'Have you brought your stuff down?' Eartha asked on sighting her.

'No,' she said non-chalantly. 'They're pretty heavy, Daddy promised to bring them for me.'

'You'd better go add what you think is useful to your load. I packed for you and you didn't even bother to check.' Mommy reprimanded.

'That's why you're my mommy,' Eniiyi said and made for inside the house anyway.