CHAPTER 16: Casual Casualties

Note: Please make sure you have read chapter 15 before reading this Chapter 16 and the next chapters. Wattpad messed up the order of my chapters and it's not fixable. I've been trying since last year to reorder but ultimately failed.

---

The melody of endless liquor being poured, glasses clinking, and tipsy conversations keeps the festival’s after-party alive, even overwhelming the mouth-watering scent of the premium pork, beef, and chicken on the grill. Everyone is just having a blast. 

Well, most are.

“There are two types of broken-hearted people in the world."

Doyoung points at the guy towards the end, “The first type is the one that drowns their problems in alcohol,”  then shifts his attention to the petite girl across her, “and the second type is the one who chomps on food like there’s no tomorrow.”

“I suppose I’m the second type?” Jisoo throws out a question, an obviously rhetorical one with the amount of chicken bones on her plate.

“And the first type would be Jinyoung-hyung,” Jaehyun nonchalantly says, much to the disappointment of his group member.

“You’re really either tactless or have no sense. Which is it?” Doyoung asks as he carefully observes Jisoo who suddenly stopped eating.

“It’s okay Doyoung. I’m okay, I’m Jisoo,” she beams at him though her heart-shaped smile fails to convince him.

“Noona,” he pours soju on her glass and hands it to her, “stop the act. You know you’re not okay and that’s fine. You’re still not okay because what you felt was real and that’s something you shouldn’t be ashamed of. Now drink and loosen up.”

Jisoo eyes him and Jaehyun before finally relenting and taking the drink, “I'm only drinking this because you offered, but no more after this. I’ve never been drunk so I don’t know what can happen if I am and I don’t want to regret anything especially since there’s like a hundred of people here.”

“Fine,” Doyoung nods. “But seriously noona, don’t hide yourself too much behind a mask. If you need something—a friend, an ear, a shoulder to cry on, whatever—I’m here. Okay?”

“How about your brother?” Jisoo suggests.

“Yah! I already told you, my brother’s off-limits!”

“Why not? They say the fastest way to mend a broken heart is a new love, right?”

“What’s wrong with old love?” Jaehyun butts in. “Why don’t you just get back together with Jinyoung-hyung?”

“Yah Doyoung-ah, take your member out before I kill him. I may have not done it years ago but I swear to God, if I hear his voice once more tonight, I might just commit murder.”

As if she didn't just threaten him, Jaehyun still calmly responds although it is notable as well that he's sitting a little farther from her too.

“Why? I don’t mean this in a wrong way but I seriously think he hasn’t moved on from you. I think he still, well, loves you.”

Jisoo clenches her fists and takes a deep breath. “If that was true, he wouldn’t be at the other end of the room, don’t you think so? He probably hates my guts so much he can’t stand to be near me.”

“That or he can’t stand his self for still having some feelings for you despite having a new girlfriend. If hyung has really moved on, you know he wouldn’t care enough not to sit at our table which is in itself is weird already because his two former co-emcees—you and Doyoung-hyung—are sitting here.”