Chapter Twenty+One

Start from the beginning

'Eb..pe!' Baby Kanayo said, throwing his fist at Lastborn. The boy was quick to catch him before he toppled over on his small legs.

'She's not supposed to talk while I'm working on her face,' the artiste chided. 'And hold that child well, bikonu. Your mother didn't ask you to be flinging him about.'

While the tetchy woman was busy chiding Lastborn Eniiyi rolled her eyes and wished she'd get it over with quickly. Mrs Okenwa had gone to get them tickets for a train ride and the others were done and waiting for her.

Lastborn's face had been done in dark-green, white and yellow curly butterflies and it looked great in his light complexion. But she liked Baby Kanayo's better. One half of his face was done in green, white and aqua ripples and it looked more like a half mask than anything.

'We are done.' The woman stood back to examine her handiwork then handed Eniiyi a mirror.

Eniiyi liked the half mask of green and white and pink petals that covered one side of her face. It accentuated her eyelids and brought out the colour of her skin.

'Thank you,' she said with genuineness.

'I mara mma,' the woman said, beaming even more.

'Daalụ,' Eniiyi expressed gratitude, happy to hear that she looked pretty.

The woman was soon on her way and the children waited patiently for China's return.

China was spotted from afar, her phone propped between her shoulder blade and her ear as she struggled with aplastic bag with both hands.

Eniiyi quickly went to relieve her of the heavy bag. China nodded in gratitude and then held her phone properly.

She listened to something for a while, her face lighting up and then said, 'Mgbe ọ bụ echi?

'Kedu? Mba, ọ dị mma. Take care of yourself, Heart. I'll call you later when we reach home. Yes, I will greet them for you. Bye.'

'Who's it?' Lastborn asked.

'My husband, he's coming back from Uganda tomorrow. It's a bit of an impromptu thing, since he wasn't supposed to be done with his project till December, but okay. And he's excited to meet you two! He's asked me to extend his greetings to you guys.'

China had always looked happy, but Eniiyi had never seen her so giddy, it was almost childlike.

As if he understood his mother's mood Baby Kanayo threw his pudgy arms around her legs and made a baby sigh. China laughed and scooped him up, twirling him around with her.

'Did you hear that, Kamsi? Papa is coming tomorrow!'

'Papa!' the baby giggled out, obviously enjoying the air ride.

'Oh my God!' Eniiyi and China squealed together.

'Did he just speak?' Eniiyi's eyes were wide.

'Kamsi? Kamsi, say that again?' China coaxed slowly.

'Baby Kanayo, say it again.' Lastborn and Eniiyi went closer to the amused baby, holding their breaths.

The baby giggled, finding the undivided attention on him funny.

'Say mama, Kamsi, say mama. Ma-ma,' China pronounced slowly, holding the baby high up.

Lastborn had somehow gotten hold of China's phone and was now recording.

'M-m-mama!' the baby squealed in giggles.

China's eyes were wide in disbelief, not sure her own just said her name for the first time ever. 'Did you hear that?' She turned to the children then noticed Lastborn recording.

'Oh my God, did you get that on video?'

'Yes,' Lastborn said beaming.

'This is legit the best day of my life! Somto is soo hearing about this!'

The baby burped, as if calling attention back to himself and his gleeful mother twirled him around again.

'Pappa! M-m-mama!' he stuttered again, having smartly figured out that it was what was earning him all the attention and twirling.

If China was giddy before, she was going to explode now.

'Yes!' Eniiyi hollered, jumping up. 'Did you get that, too?'

'Yes,' Lastborn replied, bobbing his head.

'Now I have to teach him how to say Eniiyi,' the girl said smugly.

Lastborn looked at her incredulously. 'Máa tan ara e, be deceiving yourself.'

'Shut up.' Eniiyi scowled at him.