Chapter Thirty-One

Mitch POV

The incessant vibrations of my phone against my beside table woke me up. I reached over to ignore whatever call it was, but then I saw that it was not a number I recognized. I answered it out of curiosity.

"Hello?"

"Mr. Grassi?" A man's voice asked.

"Yes? Who is this?"

"There's been an incident. Trevor Ryan has escaped from our custody and we believe that you may be in danger. Please come down the the police station as quickly as possible and be on the look out for him." The man explained.

I froze. Trevor escaped. "Okay," I muttered as I hung up the phone. I turned around and began shaking Scott vigorously, "Scott," I said loudly, "Wake up."

He didn't budge.

I shook him harder.

"Come on," I plead, "Trevor escaped and we need to head down to the police station!"

Scott still didn't move.

I got out of bed and walked around to his side. I pushed on him even harder and he rolled over onto his back. I jumped backwards, my back slamming into the wall when I saw all the blood that covered Scott's abdomen and the bed beneath him.

"Scott!" I screamed, running my hands over him as I attempted to find the source of all the blood. "Wake up!"

Tears streamed down my face as his expression, or lack thereof, told me that he wasn't going to wake up ever again.

"Wake up, Scott!" I cried.

Through the blur of my tears, I saw a figure emerge from the shadows in the corner of the room. Trevor was standing there, an eerie look in his eye. In his hand was a knife soaked in blood.

"You took away the thing that I loved, so I took away the thing that you loved. Now we're even." He articulated, an evil smile creeping onto his lips.

"No!" I screamed lunging toward him, nothing but pure anger driving me.

"Mitch!" Scott yelled, making me jump.

I looked up at him. He was kneeling over me, his hands on my shoulders, almost like he had been restraining me. His grip loosened when he saw that I was awake.

I reached up and pulled him down to me. I didn't care about the pain that coursed through me when I did that. That dream had seemed so real. I sobbed into his shirt and he rolled onto his side, pulling me closer.

"Shh, it was just a dream," he soothed. "Wanna talk about it?"

I sniffled, unable to make coherent words come out. "I-I saw y-you d-dead." I sobbed.

"What?" He asked, gently stroking my back.

"Trevor, h-he esca-escaped from p-prison and h-he killed y-you." It was difficult to speak through the tears.

Scott didn't say anything, he just pulled me closer to him. I cried into his chest until I had no more tears left, and then I fell asleep.

***

I didn't wake up again until the next morning around 9 AM. I sat up and stretched slowly. I glanced over at Scott and saw him sprawled out on his stomach, his mouth opened slightly while he snored softly. I smiled.

I crawled out of bed and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I glanced up at my reflection in the mirror and saw the dark rings around my eyes. The nightmare had caused me to get a horrible night's sleep. This nightmare was different than any of the others.