0

The hot August air blankets the California coast, choking the inland hills in that dry, burning heat. Jackson leans on the railing with his elbows, a cold, Stella Artois dangling from his fingers. He takes a sip and looks across the cemented landscape at the sky, watching the orange glow of the sun melting on the horizon, coating the west coast dwellers with the last warm tendrils of the azure summer's day.

"I can't believe you are turning twenty-one." Elena, Jackson's mother, walks across the balcony as graceful as air, her thick black hair roped behind one shoulder. "Mijo, I remember when you were just a little baby in my arms. What happened?"

Elena joins her son by the railing, staring at the setting sun. Jackson hugs her shoulders and rests his chin on her head. Despite Elena's short stature, her son managed to reach six feet like his father.

"Oh, mama." Jackson kisses her hair. "You can't get rid of me that easily." Elena laughs and tightens her hold on him.

"What am I going to do with you?"

"Let me have the house tomorrow night?"

Elena shakes her head with a rueful smile. "Only if you let me buy you and your friends some real alcohol. None of your cheap, disgusting stuff."

"By all means."

As the black washes over the sky and sprinkles of stars wink in the night, Jackson holds his mother close, listening to her soft breath echo in the chilled air and feeling like the years stretched ahead of him are barreling toward him at the speed of light. 

*******************************************************************************************

a/n: aptly posting this first chapter (really more like a prologue) on Valentine's Day. let's celebrate this day of love baby! it's a beautiful thing to feel and an even more beautiful thing to give, and that's what this story is all about <3

please vote and comment! I love reading them :)

with love, 

zoë