The Ball

The next two days went by and it was the day of the function when the girls were helping the Cadets of IMA with the backstage preparation. It was a very special day for the Indian Army as IMA was the very first Military Army to be ever established in India.

Soon, a flurry of retired army officers were coming in through the gates of IMA. Some were retired, some still in active duty. Some were not that old. They all had been students of IMA. It was like the festival just for the army officers, with old batch mates meeting each other after a long time.

Shambhavi and Anisha had been working with a few Cadets when Anant came up to them and said in mock seriousness, "This will be us a few years down the line, meeting by chance at functions like these." Both Shambhvai and Anisha smacked him on each of his shoulders.

He cutely pouted at them and huffed as a child and they both pinched his cheeks. He tried not to smile but the smile was a sneaky little thing that came to his lips anyway.

They continued their work, organizing things and finally left to get ready. The girls wore white and red sarees, as it was the most formal yet disciplined thing to wear. Mostly, all lady cadets who were working with the guests were in white and red sarees.

Aniket and the other officers were dressed prim and proper in their uniforms. Not the uniforms they usually wore at the academy but the uniforms that showed officially their ranks and their achievements. They looked heartbreakingly dashing in those.

The program commenced with a parade and then speeches were made by the principal and teachers of IMA. A slide of the history of IMA was followed by the main attraction of the year. The alumni were going to be awarded with special honors.

That part of the function was probably the most amazing thing Shambhavi had ever seen. It was such a wonder to watch all those officers receiving the honors. Shambhavi wondered if she would ever receive any honors like that. 

The function finished around 2 pm and later that evening they were going to have a ball. After all, the Army was famous for their Balls.

Raghav had come barreling into Shambhavi's room and took her hand to take her somewhere. Shambhavi kept asking where they were going but Raghav just said, "Bai sa don't ask, just come with me please." Soon Raghav reached the rooms where the guests were staying.

"Why are we here Raghav? I have to get ready you know," Shambhavi scolded her brother in a very soft and sisterly manner.

"Shambhavi," a soft feminine voice called out to her. Shambhavi was stunned for a moment, her eyes filled with tears. She turned and was shocked to see her Choti Ma.

Aarti Vashishth was an epitome of beauty. Her black hair, opened and styled gracefully. She was wearing a saree in which she did not look more than 35. Though she was much younger to her father, she was not that young.

They both stared at each for a long moment and Aarti came forward towards Shambhavi. Shambhavi went to touch her and Aarti stopped her and shook her head. She took Shambhavi in her arms and for a moment it felt like Shambhavi was being held by her mother again.

Shambhavi had always been good at hiding her feelings, She was good when she met Raghav and good when she had to let Adhya leave, But right then she was not good, She sniffed and bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from crying.

They parted and looked at each other. "I did not know that My daughter had gotten so big, and so beautiful," Aarti said, taking her in. Shambhavi laughed a little. "How are you meri jaan?" Aarti asked, genuinely curious.

Shambhavi gave a wide smile at her endearment, "I am good, Choti Ma. How are you? Have you been going to the doctor regularly for your health and have you been taking your medicines?" Shambhavi would have continued asking questions had Aarti not stopped her.

Aarti put her hand on Shambhav's cheek and said, "I am fine. This one does not let me forget my medicines," she said pointing to Raghav who had been silently observing her mother and sister.

"How has the Academy been?" Aarti asked, a bit concerned for Shambhavi. "I have heard stories. I know it's hard. Do you take proper care of yourself?"

Shambhavi said, posing a little, "See for yourself. I am perfectly fine. I love it at the academy and it is not that difficult," Shambhavi said and started telling her all the stories and how she had topped her theory exams. They talked for nearly an hour before Shambhavi had to leave to get ready for the Ball.

Shambhavi said she would meet Aarti at the ball and parted. Raghav stayed behind and told his mother about Shambhavi and Aniket. Aarti was in a dilemma hearing that. She was happy that Shambhavi and Aniket were happy with each other but she was fearful of their future.

Shambhavi went back to her room. Anisha and Shreya were already ready. So the girls got to work to make Shambhavi look like a princess. After all, she had a king to impress.

The girls looked like beautiful princesses in their ball gowns and they went out. Shreya was wearing a blood-red sleeveless gown.

Anisha had gone with an easy-going, flowing gown, peach and black colors in an ombre effect with slender off-shoulder sleeves. The gown was what matched more with her personality. Anant came and picked Shreya up while Shambhavi was getting in the gown. Anant was blown away with Shreya and Shreya was a bit smug at Anant's wide eyes.

While both the girls looked amazing in their gowns, it was Shambhavi's gown that had taken the cake. A royal blue ball gown with a train and flare, a V neck off-shoulder sleeves and intricate designing on the corset of the gown. The only thing lacking was a tiara and she would have looked like a Queen. The part that Shambhavi liked the most about her gown were the Secret Pockets hidden in the fold of the gown's skirt.

Anisha and Shambhavi went to the ballroom together. Everyone stopped for a moment and just gazed at the beauties.

They glided towards the ball and stopped before Anant and Shreya.

"My my, ladies. Be sure to not look at anyone directly in the eyes; your good looks might kill them," Anant teased and complimented.

Anisha and Shambhavi thanked him with a gracious smack to his head. The young cadets were talking amongst themselves and the ladies were getting quite a few stares from the gentlemen in the room.

They soon spotted MG Rathore and Sanyukta Ma'am. They went over to them and greeted them.

"Oh my, you three are looking so beautiful," Sanyukta Ma'am complimented the girls and soon the conversation was about everyone who was going to receive the special awards.

Captain Advith Singh Rathore and Captain Aniket Rai Chauhan had entered the ballroom and just as the room had stopped to stare at Anisha and Shambhavi, the room had stopped to ogle at the handsome gentlemen.