Contemplations

It was too late to cry, he was gone. Back in time so he could be in the arms of the woman of his dreams. Bucky often thought that there was something wrong with his arms, maybe they didn't give perfect enough hugs, or maybe no one could love them as one of them was anything but human. He pondered that maybe it was just him as a person and that no one could ever love someone so broken, damaged and barely living. Someone who was part machine and someone who could barely remember their past. His insecurities were proven to be true though, because there he stood staring at the empty landscape in front of him, as the man he did nothing but love and protect for most of his life, too cowardly to admit his true self go back in time to be with someone much better than him, much prettier and much more...female. That's the thing wasn't it, maybe if he'd been born a female then he could have captured the eyes of one Steve Rogers. Maybe if he was all thin waisted and puckered lipped instead of built with manly muscles and a scarred body someone out there would love him. No one really would.

So he stood there, staring at the empty landscape wondering what was his future plans, would he be welcomed back into Wakanda to stay forever, or would he adventure on with Sam Wilson, the person he loved to hate. Thoughts overtook him, his eyes blurring with tears as he walked back to the place he was currently located. He'd noticed a letter sitting on the table when he shuffled his coat off and let out a sigh. A letter he'd never seen before, a letter he didn't want to open, but one he must.

'Dear James Buchanan Barnes,
   If this letter has reached you, then you would have known by now that I have travelled with the aid of my friends, back in time to be with the one that I love. I cherish the moments we have spent together and you will always be my dearest friend, but I must be honest with you. I wasn't naive about the feelings you had for me, and sadly I just couldn't bring myself to love you back in the way you wished. I knew that if we were to be together any longer I would have done nothing but hurt your feelings. Confide in your friends and trust that they can help you, especially Sam Wilson..he's annoying, but he cares. Goodbye Buck... it's the end of the line.

yours Steve Rogers'

It hurt, brandished the knife that dove into his chest and stabbed his heart over and over. He hated Steve Rogers, hated what he did to him. Rescued him, made him feel human again then crumpled him up like a paper ball and threw him into the trash, just maybe he had stayed a mindless assassin for the Russians, what would become of him then, there was no emotion, no time for thoughts and of course, no Steve Rogers.

He contemplated, something he ought to do a lot. What if he could travel back in time, back to when Steve was nothing but paper bones and pale eyes. Where they wore newspapers in their shoes and scraped together every last penny in their pockets to be able to eat for the week, where there was no metal limbs, or empty heads or no Peggy Carters, just Steve and Bucky in their apartment arguing over things that didn't really matter. Back to a time where once Steve Rogers loved Bucky Barnes.

It was dark, vitiligo crossing his body as he took the adventure back into his life, back into his young body, back to happiness, back to him.

"Buck? What are you doing back so early?!"
"Hi Steve..."