Chapter Six (conclusion)

Start from the beginning

“Don’t push your luck,” I said.

We walked up to our lockers and began to grab our books for first period.

“Hey guys,” someone said from behind us.

“Oh, hey Reese,” Sawyer said.

I glanced over my shoulder to see Byron standing there, hands in his pockets and bag hanging off his shoulder. Confused, I looked around to for the guy Sawyer had been talking to.

“Reese, do you think I could borrow your notes from the other day?” Harley asked. “I looked mine over this morning and can’t figure out what my chicken scratches actually say.”
            “Maybe it’s time you start using a laptop like I’ve suggested, oh I don’t know, a couple hundred times,” Byron said, raising an eyebrow.

“Just let me borrow them,” she ordered, punching him lightly on the arm.

By now my head was spinning. “Reese?” I asked him. “You said your name was Byron.”

“No,” he answered with a smirk. “You said my name was Byron. I told you to call me Lord. Which you still haven’t done, I might add.”

“But your nametag said Byron,” I said.

“It did,” he said nodding.

“But it’s really Reese?” I asked.

“It is,” he responded.

“Why were you wearing a nametag that said Byron then?” I asked.

“Lost mine,” he said, shrugging. “Byron apparently left his in my locker when he quit.”

“Who names their kid Byron?” Jackson muttered.

“A Lord,” Reese said without a beat.

Part of me was annoyed that I seemed to be the butt of a stupid joke, but the other part thought the whole thing was so ridiculous it was almost funny. And for some reason, I didn’t mind.

“So how goes the dating?” Reese asked me.

“It’s over,” I said, closing my locker with a clang and leaning against it. “Thank God.”

“That’s it?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “You’re done dating forever? Just like that?”

“Well, maybe not forever,” I said. “But for now at least. I’m definitely over letting my sisters set me up.”

“Ahhh, gotcha,” Reese said, nodding.

I glanced over at Sawyer and she had a funny look on her face. I watched as she examined Reese and then me.

“Okay, see you guys later,” Reese said and sauntered away.

Alone again, the four of us began to walk to our respective classes.

“Ugh,” Jackson said. “I have a test this period. And I’m definitely not ready for it.”

“Maybe you should’ve studied for it instead of staying up to make that,” Harley retorted, pointing at her Man Up T-shirt.

“Give us one last chance,” Sawyer said suddenly, interrupting the fight that was about to start.

“Huh?” I asked her.

“Let us set you up on one more date,” Sawyer said, eagerly. “I just thought of someone who would be perfect for you.”

“Sawyer, the deal was, we each got one,” Jackson said. “You had your chance.”