Chapter 12

Arden's POV
I can't sleep. I've been in bed for hours just laying here. I climbed out of bed and went towards my window. I stared up at the moon and stars. Waiting. Waiting for a sign, an answer. I really missed my mum. I wish I could talk to her. I know she'd never respond because she's dead now, but I miss her. I want her back. She's so far away and I can't reach her. Am I crazy to think she'd ever to listen to my cries and plea's? Can she even hear my voice? My voice is so quiet... she'd never hear me even if I tried.
An idea popped into my head and I walked away from my window. I inched my way towards Niall's room and peeped through the cracked door. He's asleep. I pushed the door open ever so slightly and tip-toe'd inside. I quietly grabbed Niall's guitar and made my way back to the entrance. Halfway there my thumb gripped the guitar a little too tight and a string broke off, making a loud crack echo off the thin walls. Niall shifted in his sleep and opened his eyes.
"Arden?" he asked. I faded back into the shadows so that he wouldn't notice me. He closed his lucky eyes and drifted back to sleep. I walked to his bed and ran my hand through his blonde hair. He smiled in his sleep as I leaned down and kissed his cheek.
"Sweet dreams, my little leprechaun." I whispered in his ear and walked out of his room.
I crept down the hallway silently and closed my door. I sat on my bed and began to repair the broken guitar string.
*A few minutes and 3 broken strings later*
I went back to the window after repairing the guitar and sat on the window sill. I pulled up the window so that I could be for sure my mum would hear me. I looked at the sky and strung the beginning chords.
"Mum...I hope your listening." I whispered to the sky. I stared at the moon, never taking my eyes off of it for a second, and began to sing.
"I know you're somewhere out there
Somewhere far away
I want you back
I want you back
My neighbors think
I'm crazy
But they don't understand
You're all I had
You're all I had

At night when the stars
Light up my room
I sit by myself
Talking to the Moon.
Trying to get to You
In hopes you're on
The other side
Talking to me too.
Or Am I a fool
Who sits alone
Talking to the moon?

Ohoooo...

I'm feeling like
I'm famous
The talk of the town
They say
I've gone mad
Yeah
I've gone mad
But they don't know
What I know
Cause when the
Sun goes down
Someone's talking back
Yeah
They're talking back
Ohhh

At night when the stars
Light up my room
I sit by myself
Talking to the moon.
Trying to get to You
In hopes you're on
The other side
Talking to me too.
Or am I a fool
Who sits alone
Talking to the moon?

Ahh... Ahh... Ahh...
Do you ever hear me calling
(Ahh... Ahh... Ahh...)
Ho hou ho ho hou

'Cause every night
I'm talking to the moon

Still trying to get to you
In hopes you're on
The other side
Talking to me too
Or am I a fool
Who sits alone
Talking to the moon?

Ohoooo...

I know you're somewhere out there
Somewhere far away"

A tear fell down my cheek as I finished the last verse. I played the ending chords and looked up towards the sky again.
"I'll always love you mummy." My voice cracked as I saw a star twinkle brightly above the streets of London.
I layed the guitar against my wall and put my head in my hands as tears showered down my face. Love is so far away. Why can't I reach it?! I want a shoulder to cry on. I want someone to hold me at night when I'm crying myself to sleep. I want someone to pick up my broken pieces and put me back together again. Is that too much to ask for? Just a little affection... just a little love.
I heard silent whispers on the other side of my door. I glided across the floor and swung my door open. 5 boys tumbled into my room. Fear crept up my side as the realization hit me. They heard me singing.
Liam's POV
"I know you're out there
Somewhere far away." she sang. I melted at the sound of her voice. It sounded like a choir of angels harmonizing into one beautiful melody. I looked at all the boys and their mouths were wide open, as was mine.
"I told you she was great." Zayn said beaming. She wasn't great, she was extravagant.
"She has such a strong voice for such a weak girl." Louis said with a micture of amazement and sadness in his eyes.
"That was-" Harry was cut off by Arden's door swinging open. We all fell to the ground on top of each other.
I quickly stood up, so did the boys, and stared at Arden in awe. She had a look of horror on her face. She looked like she was deteriorating before my eyes.
"Y-you weren't suppose to hear that." she stuttered quietly.
"Love, your amazing! The whole world should hear you!" Louis said smiling. Arden closed her eyes and shook her head. I looked closer at her face in the dim lighting and saw it was stained with tears. As her eyes opened again I saw a different look in her eyes. They weren't the same strong, independent eyes I've grown used to. They were lonely, poverty stricken filled eyes. Her features seemed to scream "I need you tonight. I'm falling apart..."
I've never noticed how skinny she really is. It feels like a veil has been taken off of my eyes and I can see clearly now. All her secrets are jumping out at me like splashes of color in a black and white world. She turned around and spoke 2 words that I wish never left her mouth.
"Get out..."
The boys smiles and glimmering eyes quickly faded after the words left her mouth. Her arms were folded across her chest and her back was facing towards us. Each of the boy's took their turn giving her a hug and whispering things in her ear. They left the room and closed the door, leaving me alone in the presence of a broken girl. The room was so quiet that I could hear her teardrops hit the floor. They splattered before her feet and were quickly absorbed by the carpet as if they had never left her eyes. I wrapped my arms around her from behind and put my head on her shoulder.
"Liam..." she breathed. She turned around in my arms so that she was facing me. Her eyes were red and puffy and her hands were trembling.
"Shhh," I cooed. "I'm here." I rubbed circles on her back while she cried into my shoulder. My heart ached to see her cry. It tore me in half. She lifted her head up to look at me and sniffled.
"I'm sorry." she whispered as more tears fell from her eyes. I watched her lips as the words escaped her mouth. I pulled her closer to me and kissed all her tears away.
"A beautiful girl like you shouldn't be crying." I said taking her shatterable hand in mine.
"A girl like me is not beautiful." she said softly, her voice hoarse from crying so much.
"How can I prove it to you?" I asked. She was beauitful beyond words.
"You can't....You don't."
"I can....and I will." I hope she heard the determination in my voice, because I meant what I said.
I grabbed her face with my hands and kissed her softly. Her lips begged for more and I kissed her slower, more passionately. My arms encased her body and brought her as close to me as possible. I craved for more as the seconds passed. She was so tempting and heavenly that it's hard for me to control myself. I broke away breathing heavenly and held her in my arms.
"Do you believe me now?" I asked leaning my forehead on hers.
"No..." she said. You could feel the disappointment and failure radiating off of her in waves. I sighed.
I've never dealt with such a broken girl before. There has to be some way to mend her demolished heart. I'm gonna find a way to please her and make her feel worth it. Her value is worth more than any priceless painting or sacred jewel. She'll cost more than they ever will. She's the only exception. My only exception. I wish she just knew how truly amazing she really was...
I let go of her tiny frame and started to walk away.
"Please don't leave." she said with a plead in her voice. I turned back around to see her. She seemed vulnerable and scared. I strode back over to her and picked up her light body and carried her to her bed. I layed down with her in my arms. I wrapped the covers around us so that we were bundled tightly.
"Do you want to know what keeps me going everyday?" she asked softly.
"What?" I asked with a small smile.
"This." she said bringing my hand to her chest. She let it rest there lightly and I felt the thumping of her heart.
"Your heart." I confirmed. She nodded.
"It lets me know that I'm still here. That I've escaped the claws of death. If it wasn't for my heart I wouldn't be alive now." she said laying her head on my chest.
I kept my hand upon her heart, afraid that if I removed it then she'd be dead. It may seem obvious that we are alive because of our beating hearts, but it's different with Arden. The sound of it reassures her that there's hope. It's a promise that she'll make it out alive.
I held Arden in my arms as she fell asleep. I matched my breathing to hers so that our heart's beat as one.
"Goodnight my beautiful angel." I whispered in the warmth of her neck as she fell asleep. I kept my hand over her heart as I drifted off to sleep with her steady heartbeat echoing though my body.

A/N: Two updates in one day! I normally don't do that, but I was feeling extra happy today. Let me know what you guys think of this story because sometimes I just wonder if it's even good at all. Thanks!