Chapter 38: Doing the Right Thing Even if I REALLY Don't Want to

Start from the beginning

       I really needed to place well.

       I didn't know if anyone else was being considered for the spot. For all I knew, Kitty and Steph were the only two who were being considered, apart from me, so I was trying my best not to focus too hard on the other competitors. I didn't want to spend most of my time trying to figure out who was also being considered.

       Steph was one of the early competitors and she did... extremely well. So far, she was placed first and as the competition went on, no one else had beat her.

       "Looks like we know one of the people taking the spot on the team," I said to Sawyer. "So... All I have to do is beat Kitty."

       "Or both," Sawyer said. "You beat both last time. I think you can do it again."

       "What if I don't beat both of them?" I asked. "What if I come third? What if I don't even place? It's not like they're the only two competitors here? Oh my gosh, what if I come last? I can't be at the bottom of the list. I'm a top, not a bottom."

       "Must you sexualize everything?" Sawyer asked.

       "Yes. It helps take my mind off of how nervous I'm feeling, and I'm feeling very nervous."

       Sawyer wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a side hug. "You're going to do great, James. Really."

       "I hope..."

       When the competitor before me was about to go, I hopped onto Paint to get ready to go. My nerves were still very strong, but I was trying my best to push it away so I could focus on the competition.

       "I have one more thing to tell you before you compete," Sawyer said. "Just think about how amazing it will be when, not if, when you make the team. You and I will be touring around the country together. Think of all the places and things we can see together."

       "Is it a bad time if I tell you that I'm already having dirty thoughts?"

       Sawyer sighed. "Of course you are."

       "But really, hearing you say that made me a bit more determined. I will really love travelling around the country with you. Alright, I am going to try my best. Not that I wasn't going to before. Now I'm just feeling a bit more confidant."

       When my name was called to compete, Sawyer patted my leg. "Good luck, babe."

       I smiled at him. "Thank you."

       I led Paint to the starting line, and he seemed more than ready to knock this competition out of the park. 

       Paint did end up knocking one of the jumps, but I tried to not let that shake me. I kept all the determination I had to try my hardest to place. I really needed to do well so I could make the team.

       And I did.

       Well, I wasn't sure if I made the team yet but I ended up placing first. 

       As soon as I led Paint back to where Sawyer was, I jumped off my horse and Sawyer pulled me into a tight hug. "I knew he could do it," he said. "I'm so proud of you."

       "Thank you," I said. "For all your help. I definitely wouldn't have done this good if you didn't help me train and if you didn't try your best to boost my confidence."

       "You're welcome," Sawyer said. "I knew this was something you really loved doing and I wanted to make sure you get to join the team."

       I pulled away from him, just so I could give him a kiss. I was so grateful to have him in my life.