Chapter 31: All is Fair in Love and War. Oh, Wait, It's Kitty. It's Just War.

       I didn't know if Paint and I were ready for the cross-country race at the fair. Not only was it possible that it was going to start running, but I still wasn't feeling all too confident.

       And if I wasn't confident, Paint would sense that and we wouldn't do to well.

       When Sawyer and I got to the fairground with our horses, we had to sign-in before bringing them to the stables that were set up for them. I placed Paint in the stall that was on the very end with Raven in the only stall beside him since he didn't do well with any other horses.

       Raven was the only horse Paint was okay being around after all the time Sawyer and I took the two on the trail.

       Once Paint was in his stall, I reached into my backpack and pulled out a carrot for him; his favourite snack. He ate it happily as I rubbed his neck. "We are going to do great today," I said. "You are going to do great."

       "Do my eyes deceive me?" Kitty suddenly said from behind me. "Or is the great Sawyer Birch actually competing again?"

       I turned to look at Kitty, who was holding the lead rope of her horse, a chestnut one with a golden mane and tail. The smug look on her face was a lot more confident than it was at school not that the competitions were today.

       Sawyer paid no attention to Kitty. He just continued stroking Raven's neck. I knew he was feeling very nervous today since it was going to be his first time competing since his accident. He did amazing while he was training but that was a lot different than competing with the many eyes on him.

       I knew he was going to do great, though.

       "Hello?" Kitty said. "Sawyer? I'm talking to you."

       I thought Sawyer would snap at her by now but he didn't. He just kept annoying her and if there was one thing about Kitty, it was that she hated to be ignored.

       So she was close to fuming now. 

       I wanted to laugh.

       Kitty decided to stop trying to get Sawyer's attention and finally noticed I was here as well. When she saw me, she laughed. "No way. You're entering a competition too? On that difficult horse?"

       "Paint isn't difficult," I said. "He has trust issues. There's a difference."

       "Either way, you're delusional for entering," Kitty said. "I've seen how he acts. There's no way you're going to get him to listen to you during a competition. So what are you entering? Showjumping? Dressage?"

       "Cross-country," I said.

       "Cross-country?" Kitty repeated. Once again, she looked extremely smug. "Oh, that's hilarious. You think you have a chance of winning?"

       I shrugged. "Don't know. We'll see."

       "You might as well just drop the competition now," Kitty said. "Save yourself the time from the humiliation. You too, Sawyer."

       Kitty could say whatever she wanted about me competing but once she said Sawyer should drop the competition to save himself the humiliation, that was one I lost it.

       "You know, you are something else," I said. "Not everything is about you and not everything is about winning. Sawyer isn't going to humiliate himself today. Not only is he going to kick ass, but he's also going to look hot doing it and I get to appreciate how hot he looks since I'm dating him."